Forgive my ignorance but is a kettle point a spear head? I tried a quick google but little was to be found other than other forums with people finding them too. 

47 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Forgive my ignorance but is a kettle point a spear head? I tried a quick google but little was to be found other than other forums with people finding them too. 

They were primarily used for arrows.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yep, they are arrow points.The conical ones are pretty deadly looking, but the triangle shaped ones are fairly thin and bend easily.

kettle points = made from brass/iron kettles?

6 hours ago, NAGANT said:

kettle points = made from brass/iron kettles?

Yes. Most of the points we have found were made from brass trade kettles, most likely Dutch.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Againstmywill
      I found this at the same place the 1899 Barber Dime came from, the old farm where I grew up in Wisconsin. It appears to be brass, and the thin strip of metal makes a "bwonggg" sound when plucked. Any guesses?

• By Dan(NM)
      Met up with a couple of fellow hunters to hunt a WW1/WW2 dump site, it was a button feast today. Also was able to score 2 mercs, a barber and a wheat. Overall a great way to celebrate Independence Day, thanks for looking.

• By Steve Herschbach
      Anybody tried it?
      Metal Detecting In The River for Treasure
      Aug 13, 2017 - Uploaded by Aquachigger Join me as I metal detect and search for treasure in the river. I find a nice Confederate artillery shell and other ...       Metal detecting a river full of silver and gold (part 1)
      Aug 13, 2016 - Uploaded by hiluxyota Went out today with Dirty Dan to a new river site , and we both left today with over 30 silver coins , gold and ...       Metal Detecting In Rivers: Tips On Finding Crossings Or Fords
      Dec 16, 2012 - Uploaded by Aquachigger A little metal detecting adventure. In it, I give out some tips on ...       Exploring an Island and Metal Detecting along the River
      Feb 21, 2017 - Uploaded by nuggetnoggin Nugget Noggin paddles out on the river to explore an island, where many people have camped out over the ...  
    • By Dan(NM)
      Yesterday my buddy stumbled onto another hot spot at the 1850's site we've been hunting since the beginning of the year and found a Dragoon and an R button along with a really nice rosette. He wasn't able to go out today, but he gave me his blessing to head over and hunt it today. I'm sure he's not to happy about that now 🙂
        I got there at 05:30 this morning and right away period items began to come to light, dropped musket ball, pistol ball, percussion cap and a trouser button on the first pass. That's always a good sign when you start to pull some keepers right from the get go. On the next pass, a percussion cap, 2 pulltabs, a pistol ball and then I get a 21-22 on the Nox 800. We seldom get very many items that hit in the 20's except aluminum slaw or deeply buried aluminum cans, most hits are in the 9 to 19 range. I fully expected to dig a piece of trash and was totally unprepared for what came out, when I saw what it was, I just threw it back onto the dirt pile, stood up and started walking around stunned. A major bucket lister that I always wanted to dig, but just never figured I'd ever see come outta the hole, my first Spanish Reale.  My goal for the day was to at least dig a Dragoon or maybe another R button. This was the last thing I thought would ever come from this site, I'm still in awe that I was privileged to find such an awesome coin.
        Somehow I was able to compose myself and continue hunting for another 9 hours and ended up with some excellent relics to add to my display case once I finish hunting this site. I did dig a lead, 1 piece button, my 3rd from here, anyone have any idea if it's period and what it's from?  Once again my settings on the Nox

11" coil
      Sens 23
      Recovery 4
      Iron bias  0
      No disc
      GB at 3-6
      Park 1
      2-tones
      Tone break -9 to +8

• By Rivers rat
      Hello went back to the spot of my latest trench and decided to dig one longer,i left markers last week which were still there on thursday but were gone on Saturday ...........so i left some this time heavy enough that u need a bit of strength to move those rock.......I was equipped with the 9"HF 1 spade ,1 pickaxe and 1 Hodan pick.Weather was ok not too hot.
      The pickaxe really helped to loosen the compacted gravel,and i think with a bit of practice i will getter better at it.I detected the spoil once out ,and it was very easy with the deus to switch 
      on and off.

So i found:
      -1 Rose farthing
      -1 Nuremberg token
      -1 beautiful button from the 4th regiment of the East  India Company
      -1 roman coin
      -1 strap of some sort probably medieval.

I did found anything while refilling the trench(which is good) and i more than happy with the result as i still got 100s of trench to do on that spot but also i am the only one allowed as most of the license holders are scrapping only🍌.I also found a pretty long clay pipe

Enjoy the work out 

RR

• By Rivers rat
      Hello to all went for a bit of digging on Sunday ,next to home.I could not carry all the gear on the motorbike so i walked ,loaded like a Trooper from Easy company on DDAY.....peeps were looking at me i was expecting to hear:
      -NORMANDY??That way!!➡️➡️➡️!🇫🇷

Anyway when i am digging alone on the foreshore i decided to do trenches long and not very deep to check the layers of different soils and try i took the GMPwith the elliptical coil on her maiden voyage.

It is hard work and  i was sweating like a pig ,and i am fit,i stopped at 2.5 feet

So on the menu we got:
      2 early clay pipes 16/17th century
      Pieces of crap and a brass bracelet
      The silver bit was found while testing the coil ,and the best find was what i think is a Pilgrim Pendant with a scallop maybe 12th century/14th century nothing amazing but why got to the gym when you can exercise doing what you love :):)

Enjoy

RR