Update On Archaeological Digs

I've been meaning to post this for a while . After seeing the great finds GKman found on the Equinox forum, it reminded me to post this.  Here is a shot of most of the brass Native American kettle points we found from an ongoing project. These points were found by 4 other hunters and myself. I get asked a lot of times from people that find their own points, how old are they? and what tribe do they belong to? The time period is easy, early to mid 1600's., but the attribution is more difficult. So we are in the process of starting a data base of points found while metal detecting. Since I am a metal detectorist, first and foremost , I informed them that the exact locations are not going to be disclosed ?. No one is going to give GPS numbers on their finds.  The people I have worked with for the past 8 years are excellent people and are only interested in general information and a good, clear picture with a ruler or measurements (length and width). This data base will allow us to see where points are generally found and will eventually be able to attribute styles of points to actual tribes. I have only 1 point that was found at a cellar hole, on my own and have given them the information on where it was found. Only the town and state. That is all they needed. So if anyone is interested in contributing information (anonymously if you choose), I would be glad to log it in. Hope you enjoy the picture. It represents around 10 tribes that fought along side the English, against the Pequot tribe. If you have never had the privilege of digging one of those, I can say it never gets old. I have had the pleasure of pulling a lot of those points pictured from the dirt and the feeling is always the same ?

DSC00014.JPG

• Like 9

Yep, they are arrow points.The conical ones are pretty deadly looking, but the triangle shaped ones are fairly thin and bend easily.

6 hours ago, NAGANT said:

kettle points = made from brass/iron kettles?

Yes. Most of the points we have found were made from brass trade kettles, most likely Dutch.

• Like 2