Eq-800 Scores Seated Silvers, Then The G...

Inspiring. Those go back about as far as you can go out here.

• Like 1

Tremendous finds!  Love the Seated Dimes and who doesn't dream of turning up a $5 Gold Piece?  (or any other Gold Coin) I know I do.  

• Like 1

Outstanding finds,not connected with any gold coins with the Nox as yet,but on a few of the sites that i have detected before have found Celtic gold staters,so just hoping it will be a matter of time and find something decent.

• Like 1

The 1857 Seated dime is a beauty by itself.  I'd be shakin' if I dug that up.

Did anyone check the weight on the $5 gold piece?  Red Book says 8.359 g when freshly minted.  There will be some loss due to wear, but not much.  With the exception of tungsten (which is so hard that I doubt you could use it in counterfeiting) the only stable metals that have gold's density are in the platinum group (or neighbors) and extremely valuable in their own right.  For example, if it were plated lead it would weigh under 5 g.  (Unalloyed lead would probably bend, though.)

The reason I bring this up is the corrosion.  Even gold that's been in saltwater for centuries (sunken Spanish loot) doesn't look as bad as this, from what I've seen.  Certainly possible that it's genuine and looks this corroded, but weighing is an easy sanity check.  Definitely not wanting to burst anyone's bubble, but counterfeiting wasn't all that unusual back in the Wild Wild West days, as I'm sure you know.  Heck, the mint had to modify the V-nickel (Liberty Head nickel) in 1883 to add the word 'CENTS' on the reverse because people were plating them and passing them off as 5 dollar gold pieces.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Rich (Utah) said:

Tremendous finds!  Love the Seated Dimes and who doesn't dream of turning up a $5 Gold Piece?  (or any other Gold Coin) I know I do.  

In 40+ years of detecting, I've only recovered 2.  I will say, the 1st 10 years I probably left a few though as I was Cherry Picking silver and Disc'ed out most all other targets.

33 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

The 1857 Seated dime is a beauty by itself.  I'd be shakin' if I dug that up.

Did anyone check the weight on the $5 gold piece?  Red Book says 8.359 g when freshly minted.  There will be some loss due to wear, but not much.  With the exception of tungsten (which is so hard that I doubt you could use it in counterfeiting) the only metals that have gold's density are in the platinum group and extremely valuable in their own right.  For example, if it were plated lead it would weigh under 5 g.  (Unalloyed lead would probably bend, though.)

The reason I bring this up is the corrosion.  Even gold that's been in saltwater for centuries (sunken Spanish loot) doesn't look as bad as this, from what I've seen.  Certainly possible that it's genuine and looks this corroded, but weighing is an easy sanity check.  Definitely not wanting to burst anyone's bubble, but counterfeiting wasn't all that unusual back in the Wild Wild West days, as I'm sure you know.  Heck, the mint had to modify the V-nickel (Liberty Head nickel) in 1883 to add the word 'CENTS' on the reverse because people were plating them and passing them off as 5 dollar gold pieces.

Really interesting GB. I thought he had just not wanted to clean it until I looked closer after your comment. Is it weird I would be almost just as excited to find an original time period counterfeit?

• Like 1

Absolutely incredible!!!

Thanks for sharing, Gerry.  That is just INCREDIBLE!!

Steve

• Like 1