How Good Is The Detech Ultimate 13 On The AT Pro?

I been looking for another coil for my AT Pro. I have the stock and Nel Big and find the Big coil hard to gb in most the areas around me and also too heavy. I was looking at the smaller Nel coils and see that a comparable coil in size to the Ultimate 13 is way heavier. The Ultimate weighs in lighter than the stock coil. 

Anyone have opinions on it's performance ie depth and separation? 

I plan on using it in open fields that have a good amount of iron in them.

Thanks

I have one I use on my eTrac when the occasional need arises.  It's a great coil, lightweight, and has a place in my arsenal when needed which is not very often.  I can say that it has got me a couple deep thin barber dimes that were on edge in the 9-10" range that I doubt a smaller coil would have got...but who really knows?  I can't personally say I got any real increase in depth over the stock 11" Minelab coil but still believe the Ultimate snagged those on edge deepies.  If you relic hunt that Tejon coupled with the Ultimate should be a depth monster(?).....no opinion on the ATP.  I think it's a great coil WHEN NEEDED...……...jmo

• Like 2

11" coil on your Minelab would be tough to beat with just 2" larger coil. You might be right about getting one for the Tejon.

The ATP with stock coil does about the same as the Tejon concentric with Tejon in discrim, Tejon is quite a bit deeper in all metal mode but that can be exhausting when there is tons of iron bits as you need to constantly flick the 2nd discrim to trash check not having a vdi. Fringe targets might get lost going between AMM and Discrim.

My goal is to hit a nice solid 14" or so which gets me to the clay line in most the fields.

Thanks

Guest calabash digger

I started with a AT Pro. I had the Nel Tornado and Attack coils that I bought for it. Found some stuff with them and then upgraded my machine BTW they are heavy as crap. This is what I found out after sinking another $500 bucks into AT pro.... There are machines out there that will blister it with factory coils.

My advice is if your hunting relics  save your money and upgrade,,,,, I have many videos on my channel of the AT SERIES getting spanked by other detectors. primarily the Equinox and Deus on both depth and separation in iron. That is my 2 cents for free...

I agree the Nel/Cors coils are heavy. I don't use the AT Pro that much and usually if I hit a big field or if the weather looks dodgy. I mainly use the Tejon and considering the 13" coil on that but hesitant as Tesoro's don't seem to have anyone to repair it so not sure if I want to start investing in coils for that machine. I may hold off till next year and check out the Deus or maybe the Nokta Anfibio.

1 hour ago, kac said:

...But hesitant as Tesoro's don't seem to have anyone to repair it so not sure if I want to start investing in coils for that machine.

How likely is it that your Tesoro detector (or any other brand of detector, for that matter) will need to be repaired?  I don't know the answer myself, BTW.

• 2 weeks later...

Broke down and snagged a 12x10 widescan from Tesoro for the Tejon. Got a deal I couldn't pass up $80 delivered used but it's in brand new condition.

Quick air test it does about 30% deeper than the stock 8x9 concentric. Little less sensitive to tiny tiny bits which is ok. Depth wise overall it falls between the stock AT Pro coil and Nel Big.

I had a feeling another round coil would be tough in bad soil compared to an elliptical and to take a chance at $180 to have same or similar gb issues made me rethink my choices.

Will try to take it through some old hunting trails here and see what I can find.

Thanks for the advice.