Confused My Self

Tugboat

Hi guys, went out with a work mate and his ctx 3030 a few times on the beach. Was fun so decied to buy a detector, the 3030 is out of my range, so decided on the Minelab equinox 800 and a pinpointer. But now I have read a few things here, should I just get the 600 and pocket the $300? There are no gold areas where I live. Will be beach and parks only. I do like the Bluetooth tooth headphones. But the sales guy was good but , talking tones frequencies etc lost me. Hope to buy today thanks 

Do read the article  Steve linked, it's really good, but the short answer is no, as a first detector there isn't anything you will really miss if you don't need the gold mode. Most of the customization options the 800 has that the 600 doesn't are most useful (it seems to me anyway) in making the equinox "sound" (respond) more like what a person is already used to. You aren't used to anything yet, so you will be fine learning the standard equinox sounds without changing anything. The wireless headphones are nice, but you can buy wireless aptx low latency headphones (that's what you want to get) for around $60.

I went through the same decision last month. I live in a gold area so I got the 800. If I didn't I would have been fine with the 600.

Hope that helps

• Thanks 1

On 6/28/2019 at 5:43 PM, Lacky said:

The wireless headphones are nice, but you can buy wireless aptx low latency headphones (that's what you want to get) for around $60.

Wireless aptx low latency ear buds can be had for around $30. I have both earbuds and headphones. I hunt mainly on land with a fair amount of freshwater hunting in the summer. I use the ear buds during warm weather and the headphones in windy or cold weather. Both work great. Both work for my style of water hunting since I rarely submerge the detector control box (bluetooth doesn't transmit through water).

Yep , I got the Soundpeats earbuds last week, really liking them. I also like the minelab over ears lots more than I thought I would. I can see myself using both about equally.  The Soundpeats will definitely be the ones I use over water though. The combo of them being somewhat waterproof and easy to pin to my shirt or something makes them perfect for it. 

I don't prospect, but use gold mode frequently for reasons other than gold prospecting.  That being said, if you are not going to go relic hunting and if the park sites you plan to detect in are not super trashy (requiring the faster recovery speed settings available on the 800) you will do OK with the 600.  You may only regret the purchase down the road if you plan to expand your detecting hobby interests but by then you will likely have other choices, in the mean time you will have put in a modest investment which is wise if it turns out that detecting in not your thing.  Good luck.

• Like 1