Close Call Today

1515Art

It was looking kind of sketchy for a while while the large complex behind my place burned like a Roman candle we packed up a bunch of stuff just in case it spread but the crews did a great job containing everything as much as possible. Buildings a total loss, but at least no news of any injuries and no damage other than smoke for us.

F63A260B-ED3C-4309-BD77-6E83BD98E95E.jpeg

1F6BC052-96F0-482D-B58A-51CE5C8FD89E.jpeg

0B98CE60-2033-440B-B44D-B86B594B0B47.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 2

4 hours ago, BeachHunter said:

Holy Moly! That’s scary. Glad you made it.

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

Geez, you're lucky. It seems your fire department did a good job on it.  I bet you put your GPZ in your car ready to take off ?

Thanks, We came out fine Just packed a few things in the car in case the wind changed then it would have been a problem with other similar new construction next door and a 150’ dry tall pine tree between us they are going to remove fairly soon, hope it’s really soon. The crews did everything right not one mistake that I could see this was one of those situations where you can only hope to contain the fire to the complex of origin and they did just a little better. It’s always sketchy in the beginning and so much happens in the first few minutes, I’ve been in these situations thousands of times (I really don’t know how many, a lot) and for me it always felt like the world around was in slow motion while doing size-up, directing resources and taking care of everything that has to happen. It’s stressful and physically draining, this was stressful and I sure don’t miss that.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BeachHunter said:

Good Job protecting your family. Its always a team effort.

I had a front row seat standing on the roof of my garage and got to watch the fire department I used to run a long time ago do a fantastic job, I was just a spectator luckily the team did their job, nothing to do with me... probably more of a liability now?.this is a cool pic my place is to the right just off picture.

78BA517E-02AB-4D2E-9164-70E03D8B1555.jpeg

• Like 1

Lucky. What started that fire? Looks like a contractors error maybe?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kac said:

Lucky. What started that fire? Looks like a contractors error maybe?

They happen too often this city has had at least 4 of these I can remember not counting mutual aid. Don’t know for sure yet what started it usually has something to do with a contractor of some sort, the SCPD had a guy in cuffs across the street from me sitting on the corner surrounded gang banger look complete with tats under his eye, he was seen running in and out of the fire looting and word out he might have had something to do with it, but I have no idea if that’s accurate or not. 

Geez Clark thats one big fire...glad everything is Ok...I'll bet you were running around looking for your old fire captains helmet when you first noticed it. Was that new construction or were they renovating that building? 

strick

• Like 1

A lot of contract fires start from plumbers. They now have solderless joining system that uses collars but don't think all the plumbers changed over.

Boston had a nasty fire that was caused by careless plumbers and another fire that was from some welders. You would thing these guys would put some sort of fire resistant matting behind their work like fiberfrax or even some Kevlar cloth.

Houses so close that could have turned out way worse. Glad your safe!

• Like 1