Who Makes The X-coils? Who Sells Them?

Does anyone know the company that makes the Xcoils? Is there a website?

38 minutes ago, phoenix said:

Dave apparently the hole operation is just one man.

davsgold wrote "The guy making the coils is hand making each coil, and is very particular about his work, and so this is why the batches of coils getting made are not in large quantities.  He does not have a web site."

Hmmmmm ???? ?

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:09 PM, DolanDave said:

Hmmmmm ???? ?

Don't worry, Dave.  I hear these coils are filled with VooDoo.  That's why people seem to be doing so well with them.  They're probably made of seal skin, puppy dogs, and tears from orphan children.   Nobody really knows.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Yes Phrunt, you bring up a good point. 

Whose pocket are you in today is sometimes an initial reaction to a fair review rather than a thank you.  The internet has raised skepticism to the max so that any fair review or opinion always comes out as 'liar, liar, pants on fire!'

• Like 2

Who cares, if some think we are in X coils pocket as long as our pockets have weight. Really there is no debate, reviews are peoples opinion, some negative some positive. But if a private individual makes a review, respect it, accept it as their opinion with no agenda just the way they see it, it is not a debate, there is no need to attack the private individual for giving his honest appraisal.

Firstly that is not what DP is about, I`ve been here long enough to respect that, this is the one forum that frowns on disrespect, that principle puts it way above most others.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Dealers and manufactures are entitled to their opinions also!  I would dare say that some of the best individual detectorists that I know here on this forum and in 'practice' are dealers.  They have a 'line' of detectors that they prefer but with or without that line they know more about the detecting business and finding stuff than I'll ever know.  They are the influencers in our industry.  Let's not kill the messenger or ignore their affiliations.  We do not live in a utopia yet.  People have to make a living.

We are lucky enough to have a choice of detectors from manufacturers still in business.  Many of us are not satisfied with any or all of the choices.  Maybe we should go back to those hobby days where we build our own from kits.  We put in what we want.

I've had a chance to buy equipment over the years from several dealers and receive paid and unpaid training from several others.  I don't find the word 'dealer' to be a bad word as much as a descriptive word.  There are successful dealers (good at detecting and business) and the others who didn't remain in the business.

When someone is no longer a dealer are they returned to purity of opinion?  No.  The owner of this forum has 'suffered' from his enjoyment of the Equinox.  His opinion was viewed with much skepticism.  He found a detector he enjoyed and went 'all in' for a period of time.  He has said he won't do it again.

We are an impossible lot to please.  So maybe we should just adopt the Abraham Lincoln line:

“We’re just about as happy as we make up our minds to be,” 

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/10/20/happy-minds/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Norvic said:

Who cares, if some think we are in X coils pocket as long as our pockets have weight. Really there is no debate, reviews are peoples opinion, some negative some positive. But if a private individual makes a review, respect it, accept it as their opinion with no agenda just the way they see it, it is not a debate, there is no need to attack the private individual for giving his honest appraisal.

Firstly that is not what DP is about, I`ve been here long enough to respect that, this is the one forum that frowns on disrespect, that principle puts it way above most others.

Everyone has an agenda, the agenda can be as simple as sharing your gold finds or more sinister, that is the way of human nature and why most of us have a highly developed BS meter!

Human nature also does not like to hear the negative aspects of things especially if it puts a dampening on something you’ve hung your pride on like a new car, new boat, job, favourite metal detector or even God forbid a new coil (lets not even mention Politics here!!).

Now to keep on topic with this thread I was in contact with the manufacturer a few days ago and asked him a few questions about which coils are proving most popular for his orders here in Australia and his reply to me was interesting. Firstly by far and away the MOST supplied coils are the traditional wound DOD coils and not the Spiral wound ones and secondly most of the larger coils have been fitted with the mod to help prevent the ferrite noise which is a really good thing, thankfully he listened to my feedback on that issue (and obviously the importer took full advantage of that feedback as well!). Tradional wound coils are a LOT lighter than the Spiral wound coils so the impost of the Mod is not too detrimental.

What was most interesting was his comment about the performance feedback coming in from early adopters using these coils, he and I were very surprised by the performance comments because the traditional wound coils are not really any better performance wise than the Minelab coils except for size and shape, so he, and I agree, have put the improvements down to the size options difference. In all my testing the standard type wound coils didn’t seem much different other than the obvious electronic differences in favour of the ML coils (Saturation and touch sensitivity in General/Difficult differences and also not quite balancing out the Ferrite), there is however a very large and obvious difference in the weight which is a God send to users.

I still stand by all the comments I’ve made on this subject as inflamed as it got at times and hope that users can appreciate the negatives without any of use getting our prides too bent out of shape. ?

JP

• Like 7

Guest AussieDigs

“What was most interesting was his comment about the performance feedback coming in from early adopters using these coils, he and I were very surprised by the performance comments because the traditional wound coils are not really any better performance wise than the Minelab coils except for size and shape, so he, and I agree, have put the improvements down to the size options difference.”

^ Are these $1,000 coils? ?

Its also human nature to adhere to assumptive scepticism! We are buggers!

We do have 'evidence' that some detectorists are finding gold on patches that had stopped producing.  That 'evidence' is compelling us to purchase no matter if the coil is 'proper' or 'improper' in its performance based upon all previous coils.  Surely some of this found gold was 'missed' gold because it was not swung over before but we also have to believe that some of the nuggets are now visible to these new coils and new settings just because it is different.

One just has to think of the doctor who told other doctors about the cure for stomach ulcers for many years before it was generally adopted that the cause was bacterial.  Now the treatments are largely antibiotics rather than antacids!  I also think of the Fosbury Flop when high jumping.  It changed high jumping forever in a way similar to what PI machines did for nugget hunting.  Z technology has taken nugget detecting down a different path also.

The fact that a new detector or a new coil makes nuggets visible in the 'right way' or the 'wrong way' is really a secondary concern to a purist like Norvic and perhaps Dolan Dave.  We just want more nuggets and meteorites and if we can get them from the wrong coil at the right time then we're a buyer.

Mitchel

• Like 3