Second Largest Nugget Found In Arizona

Interesting, never seen that before, thanks for the link. 

The description lists the discovery location as the Huachuca's, but then owner says it was found outside of Oatman at a placer mine. There aren't many placer mines around Oatman that had screener plants on them. Personally, judging from the matte finish of the gold and semi-brecciated character of the quartz I think it didn't come from either of those areas.

I'm really surprised though, I figured the 2nd largest nugget in state history would have been much larger. I've had old timers tell me about 10 to 20 ouncers they found in Lost Basin and Q in the 70's and 80's. I don't know much about Rich Hill but I gotta think there's been some close to that found out there, I figured even larger up until now.

• Like 3

Also, the potato patch in the Rich Hill area supposedly got its name from the similarity of the nuggets to the patches name. 

• Like 1

Here's an article I found searching out of curiosity, this was a 70 ouncer taken from "Dolan Springs". But looking at the gold and the fact Dolan doesn't really have many nuggets, it was almost certainly found in Lost Basin, AZ.

https://www.antiquetrader.com/featured/natural-gold-nugget-weighs-in-at-70-ounces-could-top-300k/

So, I think the coin dealer is probably spinning a bit of a tale to get a little more for his nugget. :biggrin:

• Like 4

I had someone tell me a story about finding nuggets in a trench that was cut across the road from the school in Dolan Springs.  I also heard Kevin Hoagland talk about a nugget he found that is much larger than the nugget in the video.

• Like 2

Finding a sunbaker that size would be truly wonderful, but the gold content is only 22 ounces. Terry Bone and Kevin Hoagland have both found 27 ouncers. And, as Flak mentioned, what about Rich Hill's "Potato Patch"?

• Like 1

Jim,

Was Terry's nugget from Arizona?

Mitchel

I think Mitchel found a very nice sun baker!

This story is of a friend of mine, "Bob Ellithorpe" an equipment operator in Colorado. The rock is on display in the Denver Museum of Natural History and I have personally seen it on display!

http://pagosasprings.com/the-summitville-141-oz-gold-boulder/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

Hey Guys,

Definitely not trying to take anyone's glory here, but it's far from the Arizona's second largest gold nugget. I have seen many nuggets over the last 20+ years that were 20-30 ounces solid from Arizona.  

Bud Guthrie did find that larger 70+ ouncer in Arizona, but it was back in the 89' - 90' era.  I seen many pictures back when I first started swinging of it.  I believe there was also at least one or two articles in the early prospecting magazines about it. 

P.S. There are also a lot of guys that say they found huge gold nuggets :nugget: or specimens, but never seem to kept a picture or have any proof.  :unsure: 

• Like 4