Second Largest Nugget Found In Arizona

Rob, we ran the article "$75,000.00 Rock Found," in "Treasure" Magazine, back in '89, as I recall. Maybe somebody can haul the article from the archives. Bud named the nugget "Fred." Mitch, T-Bone found gold all over, and didn't always reveal the true location of the find locale. He told me that the 27 ouncer was found about 7 miles south of Quartzite, but who knows, maybe Terry fibbed to me, too. But I do know of a 24 ouncer found there, and the finder said it was located a short distance from where Terry got the 27 ouncer.

• Like 1

I'm curious, is that Bud Guthrie 70+ oz nugget the largest found with a detector in AZ then? That we have a name and photo to go along with at least?

It seems like 30 oz is the "anonymous barrier". Most the nuggets after that tend to be unknown finders with no pictures (publicly at least). Thinking, that Butte Nugget finder in CA recently stayed anonymous too and that's the largest nugget I can think of which has been found since I've been paying any attention to prospecting.

A confirmed list of largest nuggets in each state with confirmed names and pictures, that would be pretty interesting. I've heard of 100+ ouncers in NV for instance but no real records.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob Allison said:

Hey Guys,

Definitely not trying to take anyone's glory here, but it's far from the Arizona's second largest gold nugget. I have seen many nuggets over the last 20+ years that were 20-30 ounces solid from Arizona.  

Too funny, Rob.  When I saw this, I wondered if you'd have any information.  I didn't think that could be the 2nd biggest.

Hey Andy,

I think the finders of the big nuggets don't talk about them.  You almost have to be in the loop with the finders.  

Another question is, do we include specimens in this?  You can have a 100 ounce specimen with 5 ounces or gold.  Does that mean you found a 100 ounce gold nugget?  

When someone says a nugget, I think of a solid piece of gold or something that might have less than 10% quartz, iron or host rock.  

I know for a fact, this piece is not the "second largest gold nugget found in Arizona."  I know it's easy to market it as that, as I'm sure it will help with the sale.  That being said, does it really matter if it's the first, second or one hundredth large gold nugget?  

Also, in my opinion, the size of a gold nugget find don't say anything about a persons detecting ability.  I have seen absolute beginners hit very sizable gold nuggets, while seasoned nuggetshooters with 20+ years are still searching for their first one ounce find.  

Just my thoughts,

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Rob Allison said:

That being said, does it really matter if it's the first, second or one hundredth large gold nugget?  

Heck yeah it does. Mineral shows and collectors are all about localities and records. I bet the largest nugget in AZ would go for 4x what the 2nd largest nugget would go for, even if they weighed similar.

1+oz nuggets today are usually exclusive access to land no one else can access. In the few cases that isn't true, it's usually just raw luck. From my observations of the ones I know about anyways.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob Allison said:

Another question is, do we include specimens in this?  You can have a 100 ounce specimen with 5 ounces or gold.  Does that mean you found a 100 ounce gold nugget?  

I would think specimens would be included and specimens I believe are highly prized more than placer nuggets. Specimen gold can be all gold or little to hardly any gold, but the type of gold or rarity can make the specimen more valuable than placer gold. Especially crystalline gold. Specimen and placer gold is just natural gold to me and can be found detecting, panning, dredging, sluicing or eyeballing. It's all nuggethunting in my opinion.

• Like 1

I have a 20.5 ozt Arizona specimen (Goose Egg Nugget).  Everyone at first said I had made it into the Pounder Club.  When the specific gravity was done there is 8 ozt of gold.  Well, 8 ozt of metal that is not pure gold maybe 90% gold.  It is a great looking nugget.

One time I took it to Tucson during the gem and mineral show and I took it to Kristalle.  They said it really was not 'pretty enough' for them so I was leaving and they made me an offer of spot for just the gold ... actually less.  It is a not for sale nugget.

• Like 7

Hey Guys,

Jasong - I should have clarified this statement a bit more -

"That being said, does it really matter if it's the first, second or one hundredth large gold nugget?"  

I was referring more to the person who found it, meaning they wouldn't care what number it was, they would be just so excited they found a big piece.  

When it comes to gold collectors, the big money is in crystalline gold, not sluggy big nuggets.  I can buy huge gold nuggets from overseas right now at 85-90% of spot.  These big sluggy gold nuggets don't sell well anymore.  Maybe collectors are not interested in them as much, as they are slow sellers. 

Just like Mn90403 mentioned.  He has a beautiful piece of gold, but when it comes to selling, if it's not real unique it will just go for around current spot price of gold.  

• 11 months later...