A Detech Coil Question

• The title was changed to A Detech Coil Question

I have a 15” Fred.... seems like it will do what it says it should...I only had it on once around camp and it would blank out trash well. 

I haven’t used a DD since my Turdy-500 days.... I used to like it around the lake near Lucky’s.

If you have a trashy area to check may as well spend some of that mouldy drywall money and see what you think ??

• Like 1

I have the 12.5" round and a larger SEF Detech coil and GPX iron reject works as expected with them.  If there is a difference, it is not discernable and iron reject is probably about 75 percent reliable in the first place.  FWIW Iron reject is not really true iron discrimination because you can still get false breaking of non-ferrous targets with either a 3rd party or the ML Commander coils - but that's just the nature of iron reject as implemented on PI detectors vs. Disc on vlf induction balance machines.

• Like 1

I was just curious...a friend told me he read a post on another forum that indicated excellent discrimination with the 5000 and a Detech-dd coil....

If true that would be great for many people...

not me, I have a 7000 and 800 sitting around, lonely and blue.

fred

• Like 1

Ah ok Fred...

A note on how we are doing Fred..

we were out test running the dry blower yesterday... Trent has installed new triple phase electric motors that with a beautiful wiring job that one of our mates installed.   We found the shaker deck was running a little too slow so we came in to town and got a different sized pulley to speed it up....

which it did, almost to the point of implosion....But the fail safe belt flew off first?

Looks like  we have the day off while we’re waiting on parts ...which is good because both of us have a cold that is going around.? aaarg...

Good news is we got about a gram and a half for a one hour effort yesterday... when we get that baby tuned in I will post a video of it in action.

And the support trailer is another beauty along with the 21kw genny .

Be good Fred!

This is part of a post by Daniel in Tennessee from Dan Kankowski forum....if This infringes on someone's rights, please delete. Good news for gpx users...

For the effective depth of the iron discrimination part...I have found this actually varies quite a bit in your overall settings AND coil used. I ditched the stock Commander coils and bought all DeTech coils for my GPX. I found a new site back in the spring while hunting with the 15 inch Spiral DD coil and it had a little more iron mixed in with the site than what I liked. I could hear the iron and know it was iron. Didn't dig a single nail or anything with the 15 inch coil. On a return visit, I opted to put the 11 inch DD coil on there because I have to use a harness system with the 15 inch due to the weight. I wanted to be as light as I could, because it had started getting into the 80s in the temps and that harness is hot. I got to my little spot and started rehunting in the iron. I bet I dug 50 nails in the first 2 hours of hunting. They all sounded like deep bullets to me. I went back to the truck and put the 15 inch coil on. I didn't dig a single nail the rest of the day and all I found were bullets, camp lead, buttons, j hooks, etc. All good stuff except the occasional shotgun shell. So coil size and how it is wound does impact the iron disc range and sound nuances. I have since bought a new DeTech 11 inch coil to replace the 11 inch Commander. I've yet to find time to use it but my hope is that it has the same effect as its big 15 inch brother on the sounds, and will help me get away from that harness.

Could be to do with a Detech coil patent Fred although not sure which coils incorporate it:

"Detech Ltd is the first company in the world, producing searchcoils with built in magnetic sensors in the middle sector.  This allowed perfect discrimination of the ferrous objects by the PI detectors."

• Thanks 1