X - Coil Chip Mod Question

Jin

For those that have made their own patch lead did you use the hot glue gun to place hot glue in amongst the wires after they are soldered into position to keep them stable and help with shielding?  I never bothered to read the instructions properly before buying supplies so ended up buying a tube of liquid electrical tape for the job. I can return it but will have to buy a glue gun as i don't have one. Do you think the liquid tape would do the job or stick (no pun) to the hot glue?

X Coil 2021 News

IMG_2705.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, I`m in two minds there, the hot glue gun method gives a more instant job but requires more a precise amount that can only come from experience using a hot glue gun, yeah I`ll go with Phrunt and just be particular there considering you have not experienced a hot glue guns capability. The idea is simply to stop any movement whilst in use thus pay particular attention and care there. I went with a rubber tape rapped securely around before applying heat shrink. This ensured the diameter was adequate to allow the size of heat shrink to shrink enough, the size of heat shrink is determined by the fittings diameter which considering good heat shrink only shrinks by 2:1 is a wee limiting but just care and don`t rush and you`ll have a top job. Tis really not of much concern just take your time.

• Like 1

I made a patch lead for my gpx once. (wireless setup) The 5 pin plug is a bugger to solder the wires onto but it worked out OK and lasted a few years before I sold it recently. Never bothered to glue or tape the joint but i suppose its best to be safe than sorry so ill make sure this patch lead is done properly. Little concerned about frying the chip so i bought another soldering iron with a smaller tip and less watts (25w) that shouldn't put as much heat into the wires as my bigger one does. Any suggestions how to shrink the heat shrink rap? In the past ive used a lighter but again concerns arise about rooting the chip. Ive shrunk it other times using the soldering iron, reckon that might work without putting to much heat in the area. 

Yep go with that cotton wrap to hold wires securely, basically the instructions that come with the coils is the go, care and attention and no rush will ensure a top job. Whilst it can seem somewhat daunting is no drama. Once done and performing AOK you`ll wonder why you were initially concerned. Just ensure you get those enamelled wires tinned properly before soldering, I just used wet & dry sand paper to remove the enamel and then a resin flux in addition to the resin cored solder.

• Like 1

Not sure when im going to do this as waiting on the 22"x 21" x-coil to arrive. Have the little one (10") here but cant get out for a while detecting so no hurry to do the chip mod. (I usually put off things im not looking forward to doing.)  

Don`t procrastinate Jin, just do it, really the job may seem a wee daunting at first but is really easy as. Aie a challenge but that tis the fruit of life, the rewards far outweigh the doubts. Good on ya for aving a go.

• Like 1

I use the hot glue gun because it dries solid and fills the inner part  of the socket between the wires so they can not move at all. It gives a similar effect as a molded plug. I think the liquid tape will still allow for movement of the wires within the socket.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, phrunt said:

If I were Jin and worried about it I'd be getting you to do it for him Pat, would solve his issue

Yes, agree it would be a lot easier. But unfortunately i just cant help doing most things for my self. The tougher the task the more i want to try and succeed. Its a bloody curse sometimes.

It all started when i was 23 and couldn't afford a truck mounted carpet machine which where around $25k at the time. I didnt know how to weld or much about vacuum pumps or engines but i had a crack anyway and built one. In fact i built 3 machines and they all worked and made me money. The biggest thing i learnt from that experience was never say never. You can achieve anything if your prepared to learn a little and have ago. anyway im not going to let a little patch lead get the better of me.

Will probably fry the chip now, lol:ohmy:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SteelPhase said:

I use the hot glue gun because it dries solid and fills the inner part  of the socket between the wires so they can not move at all. It gives a similar effect as a molded plug. I think the liquid tape will still allow for movement of the wires within the socket.

good point, i might test the liquid tape to see what it dries like. If no good ill go the with the glue.