GPZ 10" Xcoils In USA

Well, the good news is I was happy with the results, today.  Bad news is my coil will not assemble anymore.  Stay tuned.  I'll have to see if Jason found a fix for this …

coil1.JPG.c0fb2b1ebed4caf84ab6b5f887990a5c.JPG

• Sad 1

I'm going to take a random guess and say this problem might be worse for us here. You in 105 degree heat at night. Me in 95 degree heat in the full sun, the machine gets quite hot to the touch, at least 120 degrees. The Aussies are in winter right now right?

That shrink tubing definitely softens up in the sun, I was able to rewrap my coil by the heat of the sun. Just an idea about why this might be happened...really have no idea.

But yeah, the technique I recommended in PM is the easiest. And if that fails when the whole cable gets real bad it needs to be tightly rewound over a 3/8" rod, tape the ends, leave it in the sun, then let it cool. But it'll deform again with a lot of coil changeovers. I'm thinking especially much when it's hot out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The heats a few months away down here, but having been given the heads up will monitor carefully. Thank you for that Andyy & Jasong..

2 hours ago, jasong said:

I'm going to take a random guess and say this problem might be worse for us here. You in 105 degree heat at night. Me in 95 degree heat in the full sun, the machine gets quite hot to the touch, at least 120 degrees. The Aussies are in winter right now right?

Yep, I sweat my butt off last night taking measurements.  It was still 100 degrees or near.

So if I try the heat method, will it stay or just unravel later on?

On 7/4/2019 at 12:47 PM, Andyy said:

I immediately noticed a problem.  The coil was very noisy.  I tried everything I could and tried to rebalance to the ferrite. But it would not work.  So then I walked back to the truck and got the std coil.  This coil ran smoothly.  So it wasn't my imagination.  Then I switched back again to the 10" coil without rebalancing to the ferrite.  No problem.  It was smooth.  As soon as rebalanced to the ferrite ring, it was out of wack again.

I don’t have an X-Coil yet. But it appears that resetting the GPZ default settings in the Menu may provide a method to recover from an X-Coil ferrite balance problem.

I tried the following experiment.

Use headphones plugged directly into the back of the GPZ for this procedure.

1. While in Manual Ground Balance mode; upset the ferrite balance by holding the Quick-Trak button in for about 15-20 seconds while waving the coil over a chunk of iron.

2. Do not press the Quick-Trak button for this step. Verify that the ferrite balance is upset by waving the coil over the yellow ferrite core. Note the loudness of the ferrite response.

3. Page through the Menu to “Reset Settings”; open it and move to the right to select the Check mark; select it. This restores the factory default settings. It appears that it may to also set the ferrite balance to a reasonable default value.

4. Now wave the coil over the yellow ferrite core. The loudness of the ferrite core should be greatly diminished.  

5. Restore individual favorite settings and turn on the GPS and WM-12 if you use them.

I did this in my back yard with terrible EMI from the neighborhood. So even though it appeared to work it needs to be verified away from EMI.

Have a good day,

Chet

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very interesting, Chet.  If anyone would have thought of that, it had to be you.  

Now if you could find a permanent method to keep the coil from unwinding and stretching things would be groovy.

• Like 1

When using Quick Start the GPZ will reset to a fixed point set by software but every detector and coil combination is slightly different and also the temperature where you are operating will be different to were others are working. To reset the ferrite balance and Ground balance you need to select RESET ALL out of the two options, if you use Audio smoothing OFF you will need to go back into that menu option and reset as the default is Low, same goes for Threshold Pitch which is default 53. 

Finally if EMI is bad you will not be able to tell if the Ferrite balance is out unless it is WAY out as described above.

Hope this helps

JP

• Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 5:00 AM, Chet said:

I don’t have an X-Coil yet. But it appears that resetting the GPZ default settings in the Menu may provide a method to recover from an X-Coil ferrite balance problem.

Not "beating about the bush" just going by my experience, give the KISS method of GBing the Z a consideration, simply do not use the QT button or the ferrite. Let the Zs very capable and advanced ground balance in either auto or semi have its head. Unscientific simple and it works a charm for me. When I initially put the 3 diff sized X coils on the Z I did not change a setting except found I could use normal over difficult more.

• Like 1

Norvic,

that’s good information and I will use your method.

I will initially go to Auto Ground Balance mode to speed up the process. Then return to Semi Auto Ground Balance mode.

If that fails then “Reset All” may save a walk to the truck to change coils?

Have a good day,
Chet

• Thanks 1