GPZ 10" Xcoils In USA

Andy

Though not the same as your problem; I will share some similar severe problems that I have had with ground balancing.  I normally run in High Yield; Normal with Semiautomatic ground balancing mode. 

My problems were self-inflected by allowing the coil to set on an iron reinforced floor while connected to my computer for transferring Find points and Way points. 

Another was caused by reviewing Find points and Way points while inside the car during a rainstorm. While the coil was setting on the passenger side floor pan.

In both cases the detector sounded like a machine gun as it was sweep across mild ground. The ferrite core was of no use until several minutes of waving the coil over the ground wile holding the trigger in.

Another similar problem occurred when trying to ground balance on the ferrite core near a solar system. The solar charge controller was generating EMI that prevented it from ground balancing. Moving away about 100 ft cured the problem. 

Have a good day,
Chet

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chet said:

Andy

Though not the same as your problem; I will share some similar severe problems that I have had with ground balancing.  I normally run in High Yield; Normal with Semiautomatic ground balancing mode. 

My problems were self-inflected by allowing the coil to set on an iron reinforced floor while connected to my computer for transferring Find points and Way points. 

Another was caused by reviewing Find points and Way points while inside the car during a rainstorm. While the coil was setting on the passenger side floor pan.

In both cases the detector sounded like a machine gun as it was sweep across mild ground. The ferrite core was of no use until several minutes of waving the coil over the ground wile holding the trigger in.

Another similar problem occurred when trying to ground balance on the ferrite core near a solar system. The solar charge controller was generating EMI that prevented it from ground balancing. Moving away about 100 ft cured the problem. 

Have a good day,
Chet

Were these problems with the X Coil?

The problems were with the Minelab 14”coil. I am on the list to purchase some X-coils. 

I look forward to giving them a run in some heavily detected areas.

Have a good day,
Chet

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phoenix said:

Andyy I`m still pretty clueless as to which coil is which.   Is yours the spiral wound type or the DOD type? Dave

I am pretty sure that the 10" are not spiral wound.

• Thanks 1

For use on the 7000, the X coils are all DDO (or now re-named DOD)....3 sets of windings, One large transmit, two smaller receive. X coils also make a typical spiral wound mono for use with all GP and GPX detectors.

3 hours ago, Andyy said:

I am pretty sure that the 10" are not spiral wound.

That is my understanding too, that the 12" is the smallest coil they can fit the spiral windings into. My 10" is normal wound as well, and I believe the spiral wound coils are all supposed to say "spiral" on the face somewhere.

• Like 2

If you have an sdc2300, it would be great if you could compare target signal strengths with the X10 coil. I'm just curious if there is an advantage over the SDC on small gold.

Thanks for the review!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Andyy said:

Jason - do you think you will have saturated soils to test this in when you run testing in a few weeks?  I am curious if JP's suggestions will help to bypass this issue.

Not on this go around. I'll be going to NNV where my primary goal is to test the coils in heavy salt and to see how the smaller coils do in salt compared to the Z14. NNV is pretty well known for it's relative lack of saturable (ferric/ferrous/ferrite) components and it's preponderance of salt.

I can ask a few people if they know of some bad saturable ground out there to test on though and give it a go. I've just never found any personally yet. The other issue would be that even if there is saturable ground, there is almost always a massive salt (conductive) signal present too so it's hard to seperate the two.

Later this year I'll be going to AZ where I can take a run out to W to test where the ground is about the worst in the US, but I have two construction projects I'm working on that both need done before then. And unlike you, I'm not brave enough to go detect in 105 heat. :laugh: I also ran into a mountain lion once out there, in plain daylight, and it still gives me jitters detecting in the dark as such (your bobcat encounter doesn't help either haha).

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jasong said:

I can ask a few people if they know of some bad saturable ground out there to test on though and give it a go.

Mariposa county has some insanely saturable coil. Another suggestion for a possible testing area…find one of the predominant 'red dirt' areas and you will have a good test bed.

• Like 2