GPZ 10" Xcoils In USA

Thanks Rick,

Got to say my first impression was it looks terrible inside compared to the Minelab 14". Real backyard job.

Im surprised as they look professionally made on the outside.

Im told the Russians have sent my 20" coil so looking forward to its arrival. Not doing the 22x21 x-coil now apparently. 

• Like 2

Is that some sort of micro chip inside the gpz14 coil?  Dosnt appear to be one in the x-coil. What would the chip do

3 hours ago, Jin said:

Thanks Rick,

Got to say my first impression was it looks terrible inside compared to the Minelab 14". Real backyard job.

Im surprised as they look professionally made on the outside.

Im told the Russians have sent my 20" coil so looking forward to its arrival. Not doing the 22x21 x-coil now apparently. 

No worries Rick !

I cancelled my big coil order because 20 inch is not a big enough difference over 17 inch to justify the $$$$. Old mate in Russia wasn't happy with the performance of the 22x21 so has put them on the backburner. 

Cheers, Rick

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AlwaysLooking said:

But having the ferrite on the conduit, surely it should not be misplaced, maybe clipping it the shaft/stem will keep it safer ?

20190716_174728.thumb.jpg.134a7699a7c33786b495dd4796a8841e.jpg

20190716_174644.thumb.jpg.ab8678767318507355f834ea86b18058.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/15/2019 at 4:39 PM, araratgold said:

Here is a photo of the internals of a 17 inch super D X Coil. Two ferrites included in this coil.

As you can see, vastly different to the Minelab coil !

Cheers, Rick

IMG_0711[1].JPG

Hi Rick

In most detector coils there is a conductive coat of black paint that forms a Faraday shield between the coil and the ground to reduce electric capacitance effects. 

Is there some kind of  shield that is not shown in this photo?

I don’t see a shield in the Minelab photo either. Perhaps it is not needed in the GPZ 7000 Zero Voltage Transmission (ZVT) design?

Thank you for this interesting photo and have a good day,
Chet

• Like 3

Thanks jasong, Some more helpful information to think about. Ill be more than likely doing my patch lead next week. 

I shot out the prairie real quick because I couldn't stand to wait to see if the coils all worked. Happy to report all 3 are in working order. I'll try to do some controlled testing and depth comparisons on video later next week to verify what I saw tonight before I say much more so I can be certain of the results. Initially, based on a very brief run of all 3, I see some indications of measurable performance gains that go beyond simply size related issues and getting into tighter areas, but I would need to run controlled tests before standing behind that statement.

Unfortunately I realized today that I left my ferrite in my camper in Arizona so I have a 2nd one on order. I ordered a new one from Rob on ebay, if you see the order feel free to overnight it. :laugh:

After changing coils quite a lot, one thing I do want to say now in hopes that it can be addressed soon for future coils though is that X Coils absolutely needs to improve their coil cables. 2 of the cables are so wide that you have to "thread" them into the middle shaft, or sometimes cram them in if they get hung and won't rotate anymore. And in fact require me to take the machine apart into 3 pieces just to switch coils, which gets to be incredibly tedious. The 3rd coil cable however goes right in and takes way less time to change.

Also, if there is any way to make the connection in the lower shaft, or lower part of the middle shaft that would be vastly preferable. It would make changing coils a breeze and right now changing coils out is kind of a hassle. If Minelab is considering some gesture of generosity for their lack of follow through by offering a patch cable to customers who already paid a ton for their equipment, this would also be something to consider in design of such a patch cable.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1