Ground Balance On Iron Infested Sites Can Make A Difference

Some folks here may find this interesting, I certainly did!

Testing my equinox 800 in my home test garden today, ground not high on mineralisation, but full of iron, old rusty nails etc.

Had a silver UK sixpence 1930's buried only about 4/5 inches deep iron nails below and all around. (Difficult target)

Imagine a clock face, I'm sweeping from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock , good 2 way tone, no problem, now sweeping from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock, 1 way signal, one tone only sweeping from left to right (from 3 o'clock back to 9 o'clock)

Here's the interesting discovery reference ground balance, on my test garden there's so much iron getting a true GB is impossible, when I do try to auto GB it jumps up to the high 90's! However most of my permissions here in the UK read a GB in the mid 40's to the mid 50's so generally that's where I leave my GB most of the time.

Ok GB set at 50, one way target from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock, sweeping from 3 back to 9 gives me a one way tone.

Increasing the GB to 90 gave the opposite, still a one way tone, but in reverse ,now sweeping from 9 back to 3,, still a good 2 way tone sweeping from 12 to 6!

Lowering the GB to 75, amazing, perfect 2 way tone, 3 to 9,, and 9 to 3.

Just thought I would share this as I found the results very interesting!

(GB set at 0 gave no tone whatsoever from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock)

Program used field 2 , 50 tones, multi, discrimination -9/+1, iron bias 1, stock 11" coil, sensitivity (tried 17/21 not a great deal of difference)

Regards Dave. H

• Like 6

Makes me think we be rotating settings. If I hunted a location on park 1 last time use park 2 this time, field 1 next time, with and without GB, recovery rate changes etc. Anything that might bring a response from something missed before.

54 minutes ago, Smithobx said:

That is puzzling. I wonder how it would respond in auto tracking. 

Might be worthwhile to try auto track but to disengage and re-engage every so often so the good targets don’t start to get balanced out. I used to do this with my x-terra 705 and it was effective. The auto tracking eliminates the trouble of finding a clean spot on which to do an auto ground balance 

On 7/6/2019 at 7:36 AM, Nig the Dig said:

I'm going to give that a try David. was on a very iron infested site thursday

I hope it works out for you,

I was out today on a grass field, regularly ploughed and left the GB on 75, didn't engaged tracking and Equinox ran really smoothly, never ran this high before on the GB but was very impressive, plenty of finds with great tones, also recovered plenty of small targets, i.e. Air gun pellets and shotgun percussion caps, so convinced its not tracking out the small stuff!... only used recovery speed 6/7 ,,, not that interested in depth, target separation is more important to me! Good luck!

• Like 2