X-coil Connection - Bad To The Worst

Jason

I apologize, reading back I saw that you had already addressed the bulkhead connector as a possible problem.

And I agree that the software should be reloaded.

Have a good day,
Chet

5 hours ago, Jin said:

Getting a wee bit nervous now about making my patch lead:unsure:

Sorry to hear about your issues Condor, must be stressful not knowing exactly what the problem is. I hope everything gets sorted out somehow for you. 

Cheers

Rick

Ya reckon???

6 hours ago, vanursepaul said:

Ya reckon???

It’s not that hard a job, making the patch lead. Just take your time and follow the instructions to the letter.

A mate and I made mine today, took our time and double checked everything. Fingers crossed after reading this thread but she fired up beautifully, balanced nicely and pings .20g bits easily. Not bad for a 17 x 12 Spiral.

One tip, some solders melt at high temperatures, we had both but used the lower temp one, made life easier.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

Hi JP,

Condors detector worked with that X-coil and a different adapter is my understanding, Dave went there to establish that.  So what is known is Condors adapter had an issue during initial construction, it was remade and then blew the detector.  I guess it is possible he had blown the chip on the first attempt and then by remaking the adapter properly it put the voltage into the detector incorrectly somehow by the blown chip, normally when a chip is blown it is blown the buck stops there... but not always unfortunately. 

But then again the wire Condor mentioned in his above post that wasn't connected when he pulled the heat shrink back was the grey wire, the TX wire... that puppy has the power going through it.  If it touched anything it shouldn't.... it's game over.

It's a sad situation ?

I guess it's why I've been banging on about people making sure they take utmost care in making the adapter as it is a risk and wished they were professionally made.  It's a shame the coils weren't up to spec for Minelab to make the adapters and we all obviously appreciate you trying your best with that.

I had another read of your post and agree, the shop can't be too much to blame as it was a bad adapter when they first got it.  The chip was possibly already damaged at that point too.  The TX wire is likely what's damaged the board though ?

Who would be responsible for for Tx wire ?

Bummer, what a bad experience. Solution, buh as a tradesman one would have to have it in hand to judge what went wrong, or what caused the problem but it certainly puts a cloud over your trip, most unfortunately. Trust things get sorted "in the wash" and you get back to us with the final diagnoses and solution.

On July 6, 2019 at 4:48 AM, vanursepaul said:

I Glad yours worked out...

Three different tries and two operators didn’t get this one right.

They might disagree with you that it’s...,,”not that hard to get it right.”

But like I said, glad yours is working.

If it were just soldering wires together, I would rate the job as "easy".  But this has a cup connector and needs to be soldered in pretty tight quarters.  I would give it "intermediate" difficulty.  You definitely do not want to rush through it.  There are many ways to mess this up.

• Like 4

On July 6, 2019 at 4:52 AM, vanursepaul said:

Who would be responsible for for Tx wire ?

Prolly the guy that cut it...just saying  I hope he gets it all fixed up...I'm sure he will

strick