Skookum

Do You Consider Your Soil Highly Mineralized And Where?

For the most part all my permissions or sites that i have detected on over the years are pretty mild mineral content,i do almost all my detecting just north of roman Londinium and never really have any major issues ground mineral wise,but i/we have access to a roman trading villa sites that has been detected for i guess just over 12 years,this sites was a active roman trading site for 400 years,so the amount of coinage that has been found with detectors without exaggerating must be approaching a 5 figure amount its been that prolific.

Only trouble with this site the ground is basically just like black sand from the beach,very highly mineralised but just natural occurrence and not man made,the only machines that will really work on the site and produce finds is multi freq VLF and Pulse machines ,the current king and will be ongoing is the Equinox,and also CTX and Etrac's.

This one of unique site is possibly the hardest site that i have detected,but it still keep producing finds on a regular basis even after all these years.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 10:41 AM, GB_Amateur said:

It's worth noting that the map shows iron concentrations totalled over all chemical forms, not just the insidious (to detectorists and other gold recoverers) magnetite.

Interesting... I hadn't considered that some iron compounds might not sway the detector.  I was thinking that most iron compounds had some (varying) degrees of magnetic susceptibility.  Perhaps not.  However, one particular clip from that excellent Fisher reference you cited said something that made me wonder, again, if elemental iron is a problem.  Here's it is:

Most iron-bearing minerals exhibit magnetic effects similar to that of magnetite (i.e., low loss angle), but with much lower magnetic susceptibility.

I appreciate Steve's comment that localized variations can be dramatic and multifactorial.  Now, I'm back to wondering if that map reveals any generic trend in detecting difficulty.

I agree with Gerry in regaurds to Montana being very very hot. The best areas I hunt are impossible with a vlf, but the monster is in fact capable if you reground balance often when it gets too noisy. Some areas you can't even move your coil an inch in any direction. This isn't just for a few feet or yards but 1-5 miles. You can see the black sands on the surface and if you dig down 5 inches, 10 inches, 1.5 feet, 3 feet, it is the same thing. Not tell tale signs of black sand but the dominant regolith is black sands and  granodiorite.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Skookum said:

Most iron-bearing minerals exhibit magnetic effects similar to that of magnetite (i.e., low loss angle), but with much lower magnetic susceptibility.

Pretty sure the 'low loss angle' refers to the phase shift (related to target ID).  I think that shows up as the ground reading (phase) and setting.  But the magnetic susceptibility is the property that leads to loss of depth.  Maghemite also has high magnetic susceptibility.  When your manget picks up black 'dust', that's magnetite.  When the attracted dust is brown/tan it's maghemite.  At least that's my simple minded view.  BTW, I could never remember the word 'maghemite' until I just read (while researching my above post) that its first two syllables are 'mag' (from magnetite) and 'hem' (from hematite):  mag-hem-ite.

I don't mean to downplay the presence of iron as causing problems.  Even "mildly ferromagnetic" material can affect things if enough is concentrated.  It's the ferromagnetism that is the issue.  Iron in some compounds isn't ferromagnetic.  It just depends upon the form (compound) of iron, and there are many different types in nature.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Rick N. MI
      It was streaks of black sand on the beach. I hunted in the water with the Equinox 800 in Gold 1. I didn't dig any deep targets. The scoop would have black sand go across regular sand when I would shake the scoop. Everywhere I hunt is very mild. I don't know if this is affecting the depth here or not. My other beach waters would ground balance 0. This one was 14. The Gold Kruzer mineral was bouncing 2 - 3 bars. That's not to bad.
      I ran a super magnet thru the sand on the beach. Is this a lot of black sand on the magnet or not? I have seen sold black sand beaches in the upper peninsula of Michigan. They mine a lot iron in the UP.

• By pepeli ridge
      I have been searching for a quartz reef for 3 years in this area and I found it. 1200mm wide ,and goes for 5 meters on top covered in moss,it's on a side of a ridge that was formed on a fault ,pushed up.
      the area is also covered in loose quartz rocks ,some the size of a football. white,yellow and rusty.
      I have been using a minelab 5000 in the area for a year. only found silver/lead nuggets and a hundred bullets .No gold. my experience with a detector and prospecting is a beginner.
      within a 6 kilometer radius of this spot are 5 gold mines ,2 working . old iron ore mine, old lead mine,and a old diamond mine. 
      excited ,I run the detector over the reef and near area for 3 days and got no signals.Zero hits.not even a bullet. complete nothing. 
      cheers
      Paul

• By geelong guy
      hi guys and gals i have been interested in gold for years but so far no luck have read heaps of books ect dont need x marks the spot but some advice on how you guys have found your bits and bobs im hoping to retire next year and chase some gold up at talbot in victoria an old friend has just bought a home there thanking you all happy hunting
    • By mn90403
      Most of us don't have a geology degree but it would probably help when we are out detecting and doing research.  Geology has a language laced with time periods that I've never taken the time to learn so this is going to be a ramble.
      This is a chart which can help us to know history and geology and place the events which formed our detecting areas into the puzzle.  We can then use plate tectonics to help us know how our region got to where it is today and understand the mountains and folds in the earth's crust.
      How do we tell the difference between geologic ages?
      http://www.stratigraphy.org/index.php/ics-chart-timescale
      One article I read said: On Earth, gold finally reached us some 200 million years after the formation of the planet when meteorites packed with gold and other metals bombarded its surface. During the formation of Earth, molten iron sank to its centre to make the core. This took with it the vast majority of the planet’s precious metals — such as gold and platinum. In fact, there are enough precious metals in the core to cover the entire surface of Earth with a four-metre thick layer.
      https://www.zmescience.com/science/how-gold-is-made-science-064654/
      And then came the plates!
      Tectonic Plates’ Patterns Revealed
      https://www.livescience.com/38819-plate-tectonics-patterns.html

Can someone that knows this stuff make it more simple?  haha  I mean where did the gold in Arizona, Nevada, California, Australia and New Zealand come from in a geological time frame (the beginning we know from the star or stars) and then the weathering has come into play.  I guess every local Mining College has people working on that so that professional miners are more successful than the rest of us.
      Clay, are you reading this?   The topic is too big so old timers learned from each other and passed along their knowledge of specific deposits and veins.  The USGS and satellite imagery are probably now the tools in use and maybe we as detectorists could get a drone?
      Mitchel

• By Steve Herschbach
      Worth the watch, good information for you Detector Prospectors!
      Lesson 1 - Where Does Gold Come From?
      Lesson 2 - How To Find Lode Gold Deposits

• By usaflaginmaine
      Why does California have so much gold that is seemingly just laying not far below the surface of the topsoil?