Couple Finds From Some Old Hunting Trails

4 hours ago, kac said:

Thats my first barber quarter, they sound the same as the others :).

Just got back from another run through the woods and found an old gold plated hair band with pat apr 18 ??10. Guessing 1910. State of the art hair maintenance at the time.

Your are in an area that was lightly used for picnicking. If you continue inward more,  you may stumble onto the main area that everyone used. Look for semi private areas that have nice raised pieces of land. Expect seated to pop up. Also dig targets that are semi good. There are hat pins that have some steel attached that may ring up funny, along with other mixed metal items. I've found some bottles too in areas like that on the down slopes.

• Like 1

You're probably spot on as a picnic area. There was an old estate near by that had been burned several times in the late 1800's and finally torn down in the 1940's. It used to overlook one of the ponds and located up on a hill. Nearby is the remnants of old stables/barn that is long burned out as well. The pasture is heavily overgrown. Very tough finding anything as there is pieces of tin roof's, lead and copper flashing and tons of nails as well as 50 years of bottle tops. Even the best machines can't punch through all of that hehe. There are a total of 700 acres that have been picked through for at least the last 30 years. Been a lot of other detectorists out there as I can see all their dig holes all over. I tend to follow the hunting trails which are really difficult to see and easy to lose. There are tons of shotgun 20 gauge shotgun shells and 22 rimfires suggesting there were younger people doing much of the plinking in the areas. Slopes are steep and a lot of vegetation making it a good workout to get through.

Still lots to poke through and the area is old enough i might find a pinetree if I'm lucky.

IMG_0760.JPG

IMG_0762.JPG

• Like 3

Everything you are finding is exactly what I have found at my favorite picnic site.  I really think you are close to areas that have more finds. In my site, I knew I was at the better part of the area when I started to find Barber coin spills.  One of the best areas was between two big hills, kind of a wide gully of sorts. Keep an eye out for areas like that.  I hope to see more from that place. Good luck there.

• Like 1