Gerry in Idaho

Yank's Trip Down Under & Success Or Failure

Fantastic photos Gerry and great story 🙂

I always liked that 15x12 Commander but used to complain about how heavy it was, but I dare say if I were to use it today, compared to the 7000, I wouldn`t even notice the coil was there.    Dave

• Like 1

Cool Gerry, thanks for sharing. Thanks for the perspective, we all should keep that in mind.

• Like 1

Gerry, this is a “pastie” but with ‘dead horse’!

50CC56E4-0788-4A23-9317-1AA957AD5762.jpeg

• Haha 1

Ah, an edible pastie ... I kinda remember those days ... Great story and pics of your far and away adventure Gerry.

• Like 1

Awesome Gerry. Thanks for the trip. I don't need to go now.😂 

Best of luck out there

JW 🤠

• Like 1

Gerry I was in the area 2006, with a couple years experience up my sleeve I cracked 32 oz for the winter. You did quite good for your first trip. I had three Yanks in my van begging to buy some nice size nuggets (2 oz in total) at a 25% above spot price. They convinced me to sell as they wanted something to show that their trip paid.  By the way one Emu egg make enough for four hungry Men. 

• Like 2

Gerry, (and Condor)

Absolutely great story telling images fella.  Thanks for sharing it all... 

You, your team and more recently - Condor have painted the most believably and real stories about trying to make a strike in this challenging land.  Luck is always a component, but as 1st timer Yanks, even skilled Yanks, still have a lot to learn without an equally skilled local guide.  Even then, it takes a bunch of time, research and connections to dive into this activity in that terrific land of mineral promise.

Even JP, with his volumes of local knowledge, having grown up there, and with connections, must have difficulties filling his poke from time to time in these beaten-to-death lands.  It appears your skills have served you all very well against incredible odds in the relatively short time frames you had there.  Envious Kudos!

• Like 2

Great pictures and story! There are some weird-ass critters there, that’s for sure!😯

p.s. and I didn’t mean you guys lol😄

• Haha 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By vanursepaul
      Well we finally got thru obligatory rehab work, and we dryblowing work. 
      Drove the backhoe to the next area and decided to scrape a little while we were there...
      Glory be!!!
      10grams right off.
      Most were in the dirt above the cap. 
      Did a repeat the second day with 16grams🤠
      Got most of the gear  ready to go... piddling today...enjoyed Sunday with a couple of mates.
      Getting my camper all ready to go bush...
      I repaired some tears and old loose seams yesterday with a Speedy Stitcher... handy tool to have if you ever have to sew canvas....works like a charm 
      Built a new battery/propane housing frame on the tongue so I can boondock with 2 propane and 2 deep cycle batteries on hand. 
      Also got a Yagi antenna from Trent that should give me Internet... that will be crazy out where I’m going... 
      I already took the water trailer with 250 gallons down day before yesterday.
      Hopefully this area will keep producing well for us.
      Picture of me below shows how I love dryblowing.

• By Norvic
      This month in 1979 I bought my first metal detector a Bounty Hunter RB7, took me almost 3 years of pure frustration to get my first nugget,(pic below) after many 100s of hours, I know now I sure went over heaps of detectable gold, and still do, but not the heaps I went over then,...…...I hope...……... Below is some photos, I wish to share with DP members to celebrate, unfortunately I did not take many photos, straight into the crusher smelted down and off to the mint, have scanned what I could find from the old "shoe boxes". Plus a couple of recent ones, the specimen last is highly magnified, gold in limestone, and although no weight is probably the most valued by me, not just because it was my first piece (found with that RB7), but because of its uniqueness.
      Consider myself very privileged to live in this era, it has enriched my life not just in its monetary value, but given a challenge and still does that I suspect has no equal.  
      MN I`ve gone and done it and not even close to the 30th of February.
    • By Mop
      A Minelab dealer down Geelong way put up the below post about an Aussie company starting to make GPZ coils.
      Interesting timing, wonder if the Russian guys have forced Minelabs hand to allow a local 3rd party to make coils.
      Here is the link to the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/luckystrikegold/
      Not looking to start a shit fight here, just sharing info. I don't care what coils everyone wants to run lol
      Lucky Strike Gold
        Brand new GPZ coil coming soon! 🤩
      There is a rumour in the wind that an Australian company will soon be making GPZ 7000 coils.
      At present there are only Russian made after market coils being made, so hold off and bag yourself a genuine Aussie made one. They will be cheaper than the Russian coils and, as always, very well made.

• By Condor
      Between the bad experience with the X-Coil and our general inability to learn the geology of WA gold finding, we've run up the white flag.   Frankly, without the help of Paul and Trent we really wouldn't have made it this far.  Most people have no real appreciation for how vast and roadless it is out here in WA.  When you pop into a market in a tiny town of 600 and they have on offer Kangaroo tail by the kilo, you've really reached the limits of habitation.  On the day we met Dave, we drove over 300k and saw 4 other vehicles and a bunch of dead roo's on the side of the road.  There are dry water courses that are marked for the depth during severe rain.  All Ute's have snorkel intakes and some raised exhaust tailpipes.  Otherwise there's no water except in towns and the flies are inescapable.  I can't imagine how we would have survived without the gazebo and insect net panels, especially for cooking or relaxing.  
      It is an adventure and I can't say I would be satisfied if I hadn't given it an honest try.  I'd always wonder what might have been.  We'll be packing up camp Yank tomorrow then a flight out of Perth on Wed.  I'll be happy to get home, but that 110 degrees in sunny Yuma is going to be a drag.  While I've been away we got a new family member, a bouncing baby "GoldenDoodle" coincidently named "Aussie" in my absence.  I'll have my work cut out for me with dog training for awhile.   
      Talking with Trent he suggests I fall on my sword with Minelab and send them the whole unadulterated mess and ask for help.  Perhaps they'll view it as an intellectual challenge or chalk it off as a Yank not smart enough to leave well enough alone.  Either way, all I've got right now is a poorly designed boat anchor or an odd conversation piece  We'll see.  
      We'll catch you on the other side of the world next week.

• By Sofia-Europe
      JOIN ME  WITH YOUR OFF ROAD VEHICLE   😎😎😎
      Making convoy of 2-3  vehicles  will be much better & saver
         than solo    
      Let's shake this Yukon & Northwest Territories  FOR A BIGGER NUGGETS : CREEKS , HILL , ANY SUSPICION PLACE WITH TOUGH ACCESS  😎
      Not looking for panning  gold in my case
       I can’t get my expenses anyway with panning  gold  😎
      So Im playing Bingo here
      It is going to be a lot of nuggets or I will have unforgettable memories  for life which is ok  
      Im getting ready from now.
      It is going to be risky & dangerous expedition , rethink twice before  YES I’m coming
      There is the plan for gold nuggets & meteorites  in undiscovered areas far a way from City’s
       1-2  Off road reliable vehicle ( installed winch will be nice)

Firearms – Mandatory  !!!  good caliber will 45-70   many grizzles are there too 🐂
      You’ll need  to carry  at least 10 jerry cans of gas or Diesel  (200 Liters) + full tank of gas
      So we do not have to waste time in looking for gas stations  
      Satellite phone- it is up to you  & gps if you have one would be better
      Metal detector – gpx will be best  or whatever you have

Leaving my place in Ontario on May 10th 2020 to Yukon.
      It will be around 10 days driving to Yukon so We can meet  somewhere  in Yukon
      My trip will be 4 months long , if you guys want to get success then you have to stay long time
      And get the risk too ! 
      I know it is expensive expedition   but you never know what you can find
      There is priority – No ones have it done before , why ? money, time, risk , work and so on
      That’s why the chance is big  
      Otherwise you are spending money and wasting time for nothing  (2-3 weeks not enough )  
      If you have  $$ to burn &  if you are crazy enough   then       Welcome   😊