Yank's Trip Down Under & Success Or Failure

Fantastic photos Gerry and great story ?

I always liked that 15x12 Commander but used to complain about how heavy it was, but I dare say if I were to use it today, compared to the 7000, I wouldn`t even notice the coil was there.    Dave

• Like 1

Cool Gerry, thanks for sharing. Thanks for the perspective, we all should keep that in mind.

• Like 1

Ah, an edible pastie ... I kinda remember those days ... Great story and pics of your far and away adventure Gerry.

• Like 1

Gerry I was in the area 2006, with a couple years experience up my sleeve I cracked 32 oz for the winter. You did quite good for your first trip. I had three Yanks in my van begging to buy some nice size nuggets (2 oz in total) at a 25% above spot price. They convinced me to sell as they wanted something to show that their trip paid.  By the way one Emu egg make enough for four hungry Men. 

• Like 2

Gerry, (and Condor)

Absolutely great story telling images fella.  Thanks for sharing it all... 

You, your team and more recently - Condor have painted the most believably and real stories about trying to make a strike in this challenging land.  Luck is always a component, but as 1st timer Yanks, even skilled Yanks, still have a lot to learn without an equally skilled local guide.  Even then, it takes a bunch of time, research and connections to dive into this activity in that terrific land of mineral promise.

Even JP, with his volumes of local knowledge, having grown up there, and with connections, must have difficulties filling his poke from time to time in these beaten-to-death lands.  It appears your skills have served you all very well against incredible odds in the relatively short time frames you had there.  Envious Kudos!

• Like 2

Great pictures and story! There are some weird-ass critters there, that’s for sure!?

p.s. and I didn’t mean you guys lol?

• Haha 2

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:31 PM, phoenix said:

Fantastic photos Gerry and great story ?

I always liked that 15x12 Commander but used to complain about how heavy it was, but I dare say if I were to use it today, compared to the 7000, I wouldn`t even notice the coil was there.    Dave

Phoenix,  I love it.  The Commander 12 x15" MONO has found many ounces of gold for me.  It is one of my all time favorites.  The weight is a little heavy, but it is great when used in grass and also seems to stay close to the ground, so I get max depth.  I wonder how many nugget hunters can wear out a coil cover in 1 season.  I used to do it all the time with the Commander 12 x 15" coil.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:22 PM, fredmason said:

Great pictures!

I have to ask, did you make an omelet with those Emu eggs?

fred

Fred, It filled the whole skillet.  Added a little Roo tail (many on the sides of the road to get some meat...if there are maggots, don't eat it though) and mix them together then toss a couple spoons full in a tortilla shell.

One of the shells busted and it smelled like someone stuffed a dead roo under my pillow.  Stayed that way for a week.  Finally got to the great salt flats and I salturated my hands and the pillow.  Then it was worth sleeping on again.  Oh those memories and stories around the camp fire.  

Did you know the Aborigines sleep most of the 1st half a day when the sun in warm to their bodies and then stay up all night and drink around a big bonfire to stay warm.  We seen this a few times.  After noticing this, we decided our camp fires need to look  small puny and hardly any heat.  We did not want to attract them, as our booze were limited.

• Like 1