Mop

Rumors Of Aussie Made GPZ Coils

On 7/13/2019 at 4:53 PM, Mop said:

Not looking to start a fight here, just sharing info. I don't care what coils everyone wants to run.

I did try to get the thread off on the right track Steve, just thought it was a pertinent piece of info with all the discussion going on. Thanks for cleaning it up.

• Like 4

Found this pic of the Aussie made 14" x 7" test coil on another forum. Check out the GPZ cable.:biggrin: Yes there is a Santa Claus and Christmas in July for GPZ users.

Bill

image.thumb.png.247af8bf214a4bea390c52d88499b1f3.png

• Like 2

Looking at that for a moment I thought it might be a hoax due to the high degree of ellipticity and the thinness of the coil, both things I thought were not possible with the DOD construction.

But looking closer, and maybe what CoBill meant - that coil has a Minelab GPZ cable on both ends (chipped connector on top), as well as a stock ML cable, ie the whole thing is ML. Not possible without ML contribution. Unless I guess, they just used an entire cable from a Z coil...? Very interesting.

• Like 4

Man, the more I look at that coil, the more I wonder if it's made by Minelab itself...?

Notice the very odd design similarities in the mounting brackets? The two slots up towards the top? Exactly like the Z14 brackets that are molded into the coil. Quite an odd detail to crossover to a 3rd party design, but I guess possible. Those kinds of things usually get copied over in molds, or CAD programs though, when the same designer is working on a new product.

Which itself opens up the possibility for a product more extensive than a coil I suppose too if one really wants to get into letting the mind wander. It has been well over 4 years after all...

If this isn't ML themselves, it must be someone working very closely with them.

zcoil.jpg.3211d62c40fb8cf700e10d2ae0a3d41d.jpg

• Like 2

Personally I am willing to bet there will eventually be a small coil you can buy for the GPZ that just plugs in and works, no cutting cables, etc. Minelab is surely hearing all the squawking and for all we know had one in development already. I've got no inside info folks, just speculating, but after 4 years a little more patience might be the best idea for most people.

• Like 5

Maybe the aftermarket coils have forced their hand.

• Like 1

Honestly I kind of doubt anything forces Minelab to do anything. They march to their own drummer. If a new coil was to appear with their support tomorrow it would have been a couple years in the works at least.

2 hours ago, jasong said:

Man, the more I look at that coil, the more I wonder if it's made by Minelab itself...?

Notice the very odd design similarities in the mounting brackets? The two slots up towards the top? Exactly like the Z14 brackets that are molded into the coil. Quite an odd detail to crossover to a 3rd party design, but I guess possible. Those kinds of things usually get copied over in molds, or CAD programs though, when the same designer is working on a new product.

Which itself opens up the possibility for a product more extensive than a coil I suppose too if one really wants to get into letting the mind wander. It has been well over 4 years after all...

If this isn't ML themselves, it must be someone working very closely with them.

zcoil.jpg.3211d62c40fb8cf700e10d2ae0a3d41d.jpg

That looks to have be cut from the top of a GPZ14 coil and painted black.

4 minutes ago, Jonathan Porter said:

That looks to have be cut from the top of a GPZ14 coil and painted black.

Ahh, yep. I hadn't considered that option. ? Certainly would make more sense from an Occams Razor standpoint.

The same poster (on the other forum where the picture came from) who apparently has used both the 12" x-coil and this prototype mentioned a few interesting things 

........"Australia made and nation wide warrenty from Australia dealers, as for the plug may be like the sdc ?"...............  

......."Should reframe, maybe the same person making the sdc plug will have the wright to make the new plug just saying"............

One would think that the tester would have some idea as to whats going on. But then again maybe not. 

Im thinking that Nuggetfinder made the coil using the mounting plate, cable and chip from a gpz 14 or 19 coil, but the version that comes to market will still need a patch lead. 

Maybe Nenad who has previously made and sold the Audio Adaptor Lead for the Minelab SDC 2300 could be the person the tester is referring to and who will make a patch lead for the coil.

Note: All speculation on my part.

From my conversation with someone at Luckystrike 2 weeks ago (Minelab and Nuggetfinder dealer) an announcement is due shortly concerning these coils.  

• Like 1