X Does It For Me

Some aluminium cleaners will dissolve the ironstone but leave the quartz intact. If you wish to get rid of the quartz as well then hydrofluoric acid is the go, but it is very nasty stuff and needs to be treated with great care.

On 8/14/2019 at 3:03 PM, fredmason said:

put the rock in a dolly-pot and break into small bits.

a terrible thing to do in this humble souls opinion!

fred

I completely agree Fred. I am always surprised how many people think nothing of dollying. I have only done that with one group of specie's I once found. The matrix was so ugly. Perhaps if I found more samples that needed it, I might try it.

• Like 1

At my workplace, one of our shipping women mistakenly got her thumb into HF.  It only looks like water.  She had to have her nail pulled off and get a shot into the bone to preserve it.  Let's  just say it wasn't her most pleasant work day... but she survived.

Be careful ! !

• Like 1

I kept the numbers 3,4,5,6, X ,7&8 specimens for many years before they went in the dolly pot but at least out came 26 ounces troy of gold :smile:. Unfortunately the gold price was on a peak but nothing like today price :sad: 

Spec .jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Dave (Davsgold) I got to test the 12" X coil for GPX, on a perfect Victorian early spring day. Besides testing it on Minelab's pulse induction detector, I also wanted to see how it would perform on QED. 

Firstly the X was air tested and compared with various makes and sizes of coils on GPX using very small gold and a 330 ml beer can, and then used on ground to see just how well it handled various soil and mineralization situations.

I could fill a page with measurements and settings, but instead will just give general impressions and observations. 

On small gold it was surprisingly good both in air tests and in ground and gave a better response than smaller and similar sized coils both bundle, flat or spiral wound on the GPX. The beer can was only used in air tests, and it was marginally better than similar sized coils, but got blitzed by the 25" Nuggetfinder, as one would expect.

When air tested on the QED the results were very good, with measured distances being a bare fraction less than the GPX on the beer can but on a par with tiny gold. The signal was very sharp and positive on a pinhead sized bit of gold, but a small ragged, reefy piece about a gram and a half that the GPX did not give a very good signal on sounded very positive with the QED at twice the distance of the GPX. It seems there are some types of gold that the GPX does not perform so well on, but the QED does. The same was noted with both detectors on ground.

Testing was done on ground at my property, which is gold bearing, and fairly typical of central Victorian goldfields. The pleasant surprise is just how stable and yet sensitive this X coil is. For QED users the good news is that it can be run 'hotter' than anything else I have used on a QED so far. I had gain flat out at setting ten and mode down at position one, with the coil behaving beautifully. The weight is quite light when compared to other coils of a similar size. 

I think I might sell a couple of my other coils and buy one of these.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, phrunt said:

An ounce a day.... nice to be some, it's good to see some little bits there in with it all.... perhaps they just look small as everything else is huge. :laugh:  JW's been killing it with his 10" X-coil lately too.

He should be saving a lot of time for finding gold since he's not posting his finds on a regular basis!  I know it is time consuming for documenting and posting the results.

I miss his posts.  I could turn on the computer.  Get a drink and see new gold finds on a regular basis.  

Steve's readership must have dropped considerably without him. (Or maybe it has gone up with people looking constantly for his next post!)  haha

Mitchel

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Reg Wilson said:

Thanks to Dave (Davsgold) I got to test the 12" X coil for GPX, on a perfect Victorian early spring day. Besides testing it on Minelab's pulse induction detector, I also wanted to see how it would perform on QED. 

Firstly the X was air tested and compared with various makes and sizes of coils on GPX using very small gold and a 330 ml beer can, and then used on ground to see just how well it handled various soil and mineralization situations.

I could fill a page with measurements and settings, but instead will just give general impressions and observations. 

On small gold it was surprisingly good both in air tests and in ground and gave a better response than smaller and similar sized coils both bundle, flat or spiral wound on the GPX. The beer can was only used in air tests, and it was marginally better than similar sized coils, but got blitzed by the 25" Nuggetfinder, as one would expect.

When air tested on the QED the results were very good, with measured distances being a bare fraction less than the GPX on the beer can but on a par with tiny gold. The signal was very sharp and positive on a pinhead sized bit of gold, but a small ragged, reefy piece about a gram and a half that the GPX did not give a very good signal on sounded very positive with the QED at twice the distance of the GPX. It seems there are some types of gold that the GPX does not perform so well on, but the QED does. The same was noted with both detectors on ground.

Testing was done on ground at my property, which is gold bearing, and fairly typical of central Victorian goldfields. The pleasant surprise is just how stable and yet sensitive this X coil is. For QED users the good news is that it can be run 'hotter' than anything else I have used on a QED so far. I had gain flat out at setting ten and mode down at position one, with the coil behaving beautifully. The weight is quite light when compared to other coils of a similar size. 

I think I might sell a couple of my other coils and buy one of these.

Nice to hear some updates on X-Coils for the GPX end users....Thanks !