The first one who gets to Tenerife with and AQ will clean up - it basically ignores that black volcanic sand. There are videos which were posted years ago of a Manta prototype picking up a gold ring beneath two large bags of black volcanic sand.

As far as release to the market - Nobody who knows is saying anything. I know nothing about that.

• Like 1

I've only been detecting about a year and here in New England we are infested with lobster traps from the new lobster gold rush. They break up into pieces and litter the beaches deep in the sand or on top. I had the Garrett ATX and it went very deep, but even with the iron discrimination button it still loved those Lobster Traps. With the Makro Kruzer or Equinox 800 I don't have any issues with traps. Also the ATX coil cable corroded on me even though I washed it after every trip and sand would constantly get in the rod joints. I couldn't find replacement cables and it seemed difficult to replace anyway due to the way it was constructed. Garrett actually replaced the whole coil under warranty  and I sold it on Ebay to someone in Texas who doesn't have to worry about lobster traps.

The equinox is a lot more forgiving to a beginner like myself and is easier on my shoulder, though its still harder to maneuver than the Kruzer even though they are the same weight i think. I may see if i can get an Equinox coil that I can move in the water easier.  Both the Kruzer and ATX seem to have some issues with hot rocks. The tones of the Kruzer fatigue my ears and I accidentally ended up in the wrong mode frequently due to the menu settings/layout. The only reason I bought the Kruzer was because the local metal detecting store near me hates Minelab's customer service and convinced me the recovery speed on the Kruzer would be far superior.  After reading this forum and others, I wanted the simultaneous multi frequency so I grabbed the equinox. Overall I'm happy with the Equinox though I still have yet to tinker with the recovery speed. I've been leaving it on the default 6 in beach 2. No issues with lobster traps(or hot rocks so far). My only issue is with salt water getting in the coil cover and causing falsing end of swing occasionally.

Even though your area is challenging try and look at it as a classroom every time you're on the beach and simply learn something new. Vary the sensitivity to see how that affects the performance as well. By learning to detect where conditions are difficult you'll be light years ahead of those who've never had to deal with that kind of stuff as you move from beach to beach.

For me iron has the slightest of grind at the end of the tone as it relates to everyone's beach nemesis, bottle caps. I purposely dug as many as I could in the beginning just so I could differentiate the tones from a new one to a rusted one or slightly rusted one. I can now with about 95% accuracy tell if it's a bottle cap just by sound alone. If I have time I'll still dig them just to remove them so I don't run into them the next time I'm at the beach.

Getting the coil clean from sand or salt is a pain. I hate it when I'm sweeping in the high tide/towel line and the top of my coil seems to collect a pound of extra sand. I'm thinking of drilling a couple of small holes into the skid plate to allow for the water to drain. HH and keep asking questions.

Best

Skate

double post ☹️

On 7/21/2019 at 8:39 AM, danielbecerra said:

I'm also looking forward to the AQ, my big doubt and the developers have not mentioned anything, is it comonse behave in salt water? since it will be waterproof up to 3 meters !!! Will it discriminate the same in salt water?

According to Steve's post, it is 1 meter or 3 feet.   I'm trying to decide on the AQ or maybe the Excal.   

i understand that it will be waterproof up to 3 meters, with equinox if it were less I think it would not be worth my way of searching, I think I understand that between 1 and 3 meters there is not much pressure variation ??? If anyone can clarify this! what a mystery with fisher never publish anything !!!

33 minutes ago, danielbecerra said:

I think I understand that between 1 and 3 meters there is not much pressure variation ???

An easy fact to remember is this:  10m depth of water is approximately 2 atmosphere (equivalent) absolute pressure ('absolute' meaning relative to vacuum), or twice the pressure of air at/near sea level.  The "gauge pressure" is relative to the pressure of ambient air and therefore 10 m depth is equivalent to 1 atmosphere gauge.  The pressure vs. depth relationship is linear, so the difference between 1 m depth and 3 m depth is (3 - 1)/10 or 20% of an atmosphere.  If you like to think in units of pounds per square inch (PSI) then this is a bit under 3 psi difference in pressure between 1 m and 3 m depth of water.