Bogene's Settings

Back in the 4000 days and older gent named Bogene (in his 70's I believe) came up with a method of detecting that is basically turning the threshold off, screwing the gain and stabiliser up, and detecting like that. I've had a dabble with these settings but could never get my head around the no threshold part as it just sounds so damn wrong after being used to threshold since Jesus played fullback for Jerusalem.

Yesterday we were detecting and old spot and it was noisy. I turned the audio smoothing to low on a few occassions, but don't really like the dullness it gives so went back to the off position, and played with the tuning on several occassions to make a smoother threshold. I had 9 little nuggets in an area I've had the SDC on recently and eventually decided it was a perfect time to try Bogene's setting on the GPZ. I started with High Yield and Difficult, threshold to 1, gain to 20, audio on 8 and scored one of the smallest bits I've ever found.

I showed my mate and that was my first Bogene nugget. I tried normal but the ground wasn't that forgiving so eventually settled on threshold at 7, High Yield, Difficult, gain at 20 and audio at 8, and commenced to get another 14 bits. The detector is pretty much dead quiet, except for a very faint hum through the B&Z booster, and the signals are more like a mouse squeaking until you get the coil directly over the target. i found that on the faint ones, a large hole started got the coil closer and the target easier to find.

On one signal we were digging I put the coil away from the hole on the ground and it squeaked. I scuffed the ground and moved the coil. That was the next target and next nugget. I would have thought that the coil would have to be over a target to get them, but brushing past some rocks and grass tufts produced a single squeak at times and some moving around of the coil produced an obvious target. I also found while experimenting that the 27 and 28 numbers I was running the threshold at are not the best for small nuggets and 26 seems to be ideal. 25 is where the threshold is in and out, but 26 seems to be the goods.

I'm certainly not going to be using this method as my preferred setting, but it makes me wonder whether it might be an advantage on areas that people are having to run high smoothing on, so maybe someone who is having this difficulty might be able to try it out.

BTW there is a picture of the nuggets for the day on my Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/GoldCityDetecting?ref=hl

Cheers.

• Like 4

Cheers Peter, i saw your post on FB and was interested to read about Bogene's settings being used on the 7000, thanks for the great report and write up on your experiences, i will be giving it a try for sure if the time/place comes about.

Darren

What are your preferred settings?

Hi mn,

I try and run in Normal if at all possible, but usually Difficult is the soil choice I use. The mode depends on the sort of gold and the depth, but High Yield is usually the choice as it is very responsive to small bits, but if there were bigger deeper bits around General is my preference.

When we were detecting a spot recently using Normal/High Yield, I had a signal that sounded a lot like a ground noise as that area is hot (a Goldbug will not ground balance there) but is reasonably uniform except for some claydome signals. Switching to Difficult/High Yield lost it completely which made me think it was a ground noise. On digging it later, I got a response in Difficult/High Yield after a few inches of dirt was removed and by then Normal was telling me it was a nugget. The result was an 8 grammer from 18".

JP,

I've watched that several times and the target gets lost in High smoothing at times. You'd really need to be on your game if high was selected and you walked over that as i'd reckon it would be missed. My thoughts are that Bogene's settings are probably a better option if it is very noisy, rather than use High smoothing, but one needs to be more aware of coil overlap so as not to miss targets. Smoothing to me sounds like the detector is dulled down quite a bit and after running it off, suddenly using smoothing just doesn't sound right. I have done some comparisons on a small nugget up close and High smoothing actually gave a better and more obvious response than either low or off, but deeper bits as the video shows, suffer. If I was detecting for small shallow bits in a slightly noisy environment, then I wouldn't be worried about using either of the 3 smoothing options, but for deeper bits, OFF is the choice.

Cheers.

Interesting this Bogene method it goes against the "traditional" always a threshold but there you are, certainly will have a shot at it, plus your observation re. high smoothing on small stuff, have a shallow broken down reef that I believe I`ve taken all detectable gold off last weekend that`s just waiting for these methods. To date never used high smoothing alternate between off and low, depending on ground noise & depth? Your obviously having a ball with the GPZ, tis a gold magnet for sure.

In the grounds I am in (NV and AZ) It is almost always more sensitive (and quieter) in the end to stay in Normal by lowering the threshold and go into low smoothing than it is to switch into Difficult. I'm a huge fan of running the threshold lower than normal even for every day detecting, I keep thold around 10-15 and keep my sensitivity around 16-18. I read a lot in the beginning that the sens on the GPZ doesn't make as much difference as it did on the GPX but I've found that generally to not be true, the difference between 10 and 18 is huge especially on the smaller and deeper stuff and just like running in Normal mode I will do what it takes to be able to run higher sensitivity whenever possible.

High smoothing and a low threshold helps with the salt too, it makes it detectable when it gets real bad and water saturated. Also cuts into a lot of the lightning, which is sometimes worse than the salt to deal with. What I miss by culling the audio is, in my experience, far less than what I miss because of the cacaphony of sounds due to ground and lightning when you get into those conditions and don't use the audio processing.

And oddity, I haven't gotten it on camera yet, but I've found that maybe 5% of nuggets are actually louder on Difficult than Normal. Has anyone else noticed this? Sometimes I think it has to do with the bad ground and Difficult just cuts through it all better. But I've actually found nuggets that I couldn't hear on Normal in the ground, and even after digging them and putting them right on the surface they were still a markedly less intense signal in Normal than in Difficult which must be due to geometry? All of them were small, maybe 2-5 grains-ish. All were in heavy salt ground too which maybe has something to do with it.

Has anyone actually had better luck finding "larger, deeper targets" running in General or Deep?

I seem to lose sensitivity in either mode compared to High Yield so I don't bother with them but now I'm questioning myself because I hunt in an area that's yielded some large, deep targets. General and Deep just seem like different sensitivity settings to battle ground mineralization. Are the two different timings actually worth using for deep stuff or are they just to be used in places like Australia where the mineralization is bad enough to make you give up with other detectors?

Key statements in the following video. High Yield is best on one ounce and smaller nuggets. General is better on nuggets weighing several ounces or more. Quite a gray area in the middle! Bottom line is I hunt in High Yield and I will let the multi ounce nuggets take care of themselves. I am pretty confidant I will hit them anyway. But if I was targeting a more mineralized area specifically looking for deeper, larger nuggets, I would run in general.

• Like 1