How Often Will A Ring Move In Sandy Ocean Surf

I know areas where rings have been lost and, to my knowledge, not found.  I understand a strong storm will relocate a ring.  I also wonder if a ring is lost in 3 foot of water during the low tide, will it eventually work it's way up the beach?  I believe that a man's gold ring will sink in the sand to a harder layer of shells or clay (hard pan layer).  It will remain there until a force of water pushes it either up or down.   I also realize there are small lower pockets of these hard pan layers that cause lead weights and rings to gather as if they were in a concave bowl.   My friend says that through time the rings will be moved higher up with the seasonal sand movements and eventually make it to the wet sand of the b

I wish there was a way to test items in the surf for verification.

Your thoughts?   

I've taken a gold wedding band and tied a length of good fishing line to it and purposely dropped it in the surf just to see what happens.  What I've noticed, if my feet sink into the sand the ring will vanish under the surface quickly but if the sand is packed, (my feet don't sink), the ring will stay on the surface and be move around somewhat as the surf moves in and out.

I know that sound risky but I use high quality, test line, not junk.

It can be an eye opener at times.

• Like 4

Mark, When you did that in the mushy sand any idea how far it sank?  And in the hard pack how much did it move around?  Couple inches, feet, etc?  Thanks!

If it was real mushy sand, a lot of water mixed in with the sand, example (where my feet would sink quickly) the ring did the same.  It didn't move very far from where I dropped it.  Almost straight down and I'd imagine it would sink until it hit something hard, example the layer of crushed shells etc. Never stood for long periods of time to see where or how much of the fishing line disappeared.   Now on the other hand, if the sand was hard packed it's movement depended on the frequency and speed of the incoming wave action.  It was very common for the ring to stay within a 3 foot square for a long period of time.  Well as long as I stood there.  Now here is the kicker to the issue, if the waves were heavy laden with sand I would lose sight of the ring almost immediately regardless of hard or mushy sand.  Hopes this helps.  I don't know everything about the subject but it is very interesting to say the least.   

• Like 1