Arizona Summer Heat And GPZ 7000 Gold

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the comments.  The camera I'm using is a camera/video recorder.  I believe it's a Sony, but now I have to double check.  I have been uploading the videos in HD, but it takes 6-7 hours to upload a video that size to YouTube ..... :wacko:

Beatup - Thanks!

Alaskaseeker - Thanks!

Mn90403 -  So for the audio, I lay the WM12 wireless remote under my camera and stand.  I place the GPZ 7000 off to the side, as if it's too close to the camera or pick it will scream.  I don't place it in manual, just move the detector to the side.  I have been using Semi-Auto in the morning to initially ground balance over the Ferrite ring. 

Hard Prospector - Ya, I need to probably bring in a vac-pac and drywasher and see what type of smaller gold is hidden in the cracks.  I have been talking about doing this for years, still haven't done it. 

Jasong - I have been pretty good, or lucky about not hitting a nugget in a crack in a long time.  If I think it's a decent nugget, I won't take chances.  However, on the smaller gram and smaller gold, I just hammer away with the pick, but around where the target is so I can undermine and pop it out.  The Hermit pick is sharp, so it would easily damage a gold nugget.

Swegin - Thanks!

Andy - I got the itch to get back out there.  That being said, it's getting hot and humid, so I might back it down a bit. 

Steve - Thanks.  I wasn't sure on the video stuff and don't want to make it look like I'm spamming.  I will post some more soon, thanks for the encouragement.  Hope all is well. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hey Guys/Gals -

Still playing around with my camcorder/digital camera to get back in the groove of HD videos.  I'm still struggling with the upload time, video like this one around 5 mins are taking several hours to upload in 1920x ..... resolution. 

Here are a few quartz/gold specimens I have found over the last couple of years.  The bigger piece I still need to break up.

• Like 7

Nice, hope you post an update if you crack that big one open.

Not much you can do about the slow uploads, high res vid files are massive. Even on a good cable internet connection it'll take a long time to upload. Then Youtube has to process it using their own codec after that which is why it still takes time after the upload is done. Faster internet, video compression, or rendering to a lesser resolution are about the only solutions.

Depending where you live, you often will only get a fraction of the upstream bandwidth on your internet line as they give you on downstream, so that slows uploads too.

You can compress your videos using different codec, Youtube will accept a number of them but you'd have to research which ones. Higher compression means less quality though. I have to upload all my videos in the field over my cell phone data connection so I usually render down to 720p or now 1080p since Verizon gave me more data on "unlimited". Still, they are usually 1-2GB and take quite some time to upload, I start it before I go to sleep at night. No way around that stuff when dealing with HD videos, several hours is normal for me, some have taken 10+ hours depending on the state of my connection.

• Like 1

Ya, looks like I'm only getting about 12-15 Mbps download and about 1 Mbps upload.  I do live in a rural area, so I'm sure that don't help.   

I have looked into the compression files, but I believe you are correct on the quality of them when they are compressed.  

Best method for me now is to upload overnight and then in the morning they are normally ready to publish on Youtube.  

Thanks!

Great videos Rob and fantastic finds. I don't know how you do it without a handheld pinpointer.  Man it's hot. I've been relic hunting in 100 degree heat all week. I'd almost rather be where you are.

Hope to see you soon

Jeff McClendon

• Like 1