Sign in to follow this  
kiwijw

More 10x9 X Coil Gold

You are definitely killing it with that coil...I really wish Minelab made one...

I love you pic's and narrative

PHrunt needs to charge his battery and carry an extra...I bet you mentioned that to him.

thanks

fred

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It was my first full day with the QED, I didn't know the batteries I bought for it wouldn't last a full day, I've since bought higher powered batteries ?

The QED with 12x6" X-coil was doing well for me though, finding plenty of pellets but unfortunately no gold.  It was finding the smallest size shotgun pellets, tiny little fellas.  When I switched over to JW's GM1000 it felt no different than swinging my QED and hardly any lighter, my pellet tally continued to grow at about the same pace ?  I found no gold at all, and JW got all those bits. 

There is no denying the small X-coil is a dream in our environment.

I also want to point out this spot we went to we have really done to death and for both of us the gold had ran out, I didn't have any hope of getting anything here as I haven't for some time in this particular area using my GPX, Equinox, GM1000 and I even attempted to get some with my Gold Bug Pro so I was hoping the QED with it's higher sensitivity may help me out but I lucked out there. 

It's riddled with pellets though so it's a numbers game for me, If I dig enough pellets maybe one day I'll stumble across a bit of gold.  As for JW and his X-coil I don't know how it happens but he gets gold and a lot of it.   A very good day in this spot with the stock GPZ would be 4 bits until it ran out so that's what baffles me, it ran out... the X-coils come along and he gets 8 bits one weekend and 11 bits the next, crazy.

• Like 2

Outstanding bit of detecting on your part JW

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

As for JW and his X-coil I don't know how it happens but he gets gold and a lot of it.   A very good day in this spot with the stock GPZ would be 4 bits until it ran out so that's what baffles me, it ran out... the X-coils come along and he gets 8 bits one weekend and 11 bits the next, crazy.

I know a guy like that...he's always pulling the gold and I'm walking around half mumbling to myself...and cleaning the environment of lead shot. Maybe they are mostly digging the sweet sounding mellow tones? How many bb's did JW get compared to yours? curious

strick

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, strick said:

I know a guy like that...he's always pulling the gold and I'm walking around half mumbling to myself...and cleaning the environment of lead shot. Maybe they are mostly digging the sweet sounding mellow tones? How many bb's did JW get compared to yours? curious

strick

JW always gets far less pellets, he does kick them away if they're on the surface and I'm trying to do that too but maybe I just go around cleaning his kicked away ones up that fall down in cracks or something :laugh:

I won't for a second pretend I can use a detector as well as JW though but he himself said the GPZ 14" coil found nothing more which I witnessed and we stopped going to this spot and went further afield and now his current 10x9 rig is bringing home the bacon again in this spot. 

• Like 2

Without any evidence at all, Prunt, I will venture an unfounded assumption...look it up.

Some how, some way JW has learned to hear something that you do not. I suppose it is experience and technique but there must be a little extra sauce in him...

you are finding plenty of tiny shot, the odds should give you more...but you still have much to learn.

fred

• Like 2

Same thing often happens to me when I take people to a patch that produced great for me - they get the skunk while I keep making finds. I bet it's common with a lot of people too.

In my experience it has to do with two things. The first is that the original finder knows where all the targets were at so he knows what types of places to concentrate on. Second, being naturally attracted to these places the person spends far more time on ground likely to have gold and thus goes far slower, and it makes those iffy targets we all seem to kind of "imagine into existence" come out clearer.

Those are a large portion of the targets I'm finding in flogged patches, they are like almost not even there but I'm so determined to get something repeatable somewhere I force them to be there, it's strange how it works really. And those are almost never trash, I never kick those aside (often can be hot rocks though). But I will kick aside screamers often.

What helps developing this sense more than anything is finding your own patches and working them out from day 1. Learning what places are more likely to hold trash and which hold gold. Getting very used to those signals you imagine into existence after you flogged the patch. Eventually you just sort of subconsciously gravitate to the most likely areas and dig the most likely signals without realizing it anymore.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jasong said:

What helps developing this sense more than anything is finding your own patches and working them out from day 1. Learning what places are more likely to hold trash and which hold gold. Getting very used to those signals you imagine into existence after you flogged the patch. Eventually you just sort of subconsciously gravitate to the most likely areas and dig the most likely signals without realizing it anymore.

Yep, that is an excellent point.  You learn so much from finding your first gold piece, but then that first gold patch really teaches you to hunt for it and look under every rock and study every signal.  For me, this is the best time to test my settings because you know you'll most likely be testing it on gold, as opposed to testing settings on trash piece after trash piece.

6 hours ago, jasong said:

Same thing often happens to me when I take people to a patch that produced great for me - they get the skunk while I keep making finds. I bet it's common with a lot of people too.

In my experience it has to do with two things. The first is that the original finder knows where all the targets were at so he knows what types of places to concentrate on. Second, being naturally attracted to these places the person spends far more time on ground likely to have gold and thus goes far slower, and it makes those iffy targets we all seem to kind of "imagine into existence" come out clearer.

Those are a large portion of the targets I'm finding in flogged patches, they are like almost not even there but I'm so determined to get something repeatable somewhere I force them to be there, it's strange how it works really. And those are almost never trash, I never kick those aside (often can be hot rocks though). But I will kick aside screamers often.

Hi Jasong, you have hit the nail fair & square on the head in all that you said. So many times I just seem to imagine there was a signal. It is uncanny though how many of those type imagined signals turn out to be gold & how the imagined signal comes to life with a bit of a scrape, taking all doubt away. In all fairness to Simon I have been detecting in these areas for quite a few years now. Starting with my GP 3000 & many different coil options. Personally, my best day in this location for sizeable gold & number of finds & total weight was my very first day here with the GP 3000 & 11" ML commander mono coil. Nothing since has equaled that in this location. Even after the 4500 & GPZ & ML 14" coil. The gold just got smaller but at better depths. Until that too dried up for me with the Zed & ML 14"coil as Simon has said. We had actually stopped coming here but as Simon had his QED & his new X coil & I the smaller 10 x 9 X coil on the Zed we gave it another go.

A bonus for me is that I know where I have found gold here before. Hot spots I guess you could call them. I generally put Simon onto these areas first hoping he gets a score. But generally there can be gold just anywhere. This day was no different. I followed behind Simon after he had gone over an area. I am still surprised at how quickly he covers ground. This may be his downfall & despite me telling him to slow down, it is something he is going to have to work out for himself as it was where I got most of that days finds. Even though I had got nothing off here that last few times with the Zed & ML 14" coil. Ok, the damp conditions may have helped as well as I so firmly believe they do.

Or it could just be the brilliance of the Zed & X coil combinations as well as a tuned & mentally ground balanced ear. There is still a lot of this area to keep going over, so no reason why it shouldn't keep giving with the Zed & X coil combinations.

@ strick.   I do get my share of shotgun pellets. It is a judgement call on digging them. I do usually dig all signals but in well known pellet infested areas & I definitely can't tell by signal sound & depending on just what the ground is like or the location of the faint signal I am now in the habit of if it has moved after a boot scrape or one pick blade scrape & it hasn't stuck onto my magnet, then I will walk on. The pellets I do get are the deeper ones that suck me in. The gold, even tiny pellet size ones like in the above pics, are usually still down a wee bit.

Cheers

Good luck out there

JW ? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1