Do You Have To Press Detect Button 2 Times

Deep1

Just received Nox #3.

The first two were bad out of box.

The first thing I noticed about both of them, when I noise cancel, I had to press detect button 2 twice to return to detect screen at times.

This didn't happen all the time, but often.

I noise cancel and  press detect 1 time and hear beep, but screen remains in noise cancel until button is pressed again.

If in NC and 1 press doesn't return to detect screen, I can NC and 1 press a few times and then the detect screen will return after a NC and 1 press.

Pulled Nox #3 out of box, connected coil, turned it on, did NC, pressed detect button, screen froze, tried again, same thing 2 or 3 times.

Turned off, turned on, same thing.

Went to video the problem and it worked like it should 4 or 5 times, before a screen freeze.

Does anybody have this issue?

Do you have to press detect button 2 times to return to detect screen?

That happens to me sometimes, especially the first time I noise cancel or ground balance in the user modes I'm using.

That is usually the only time it happens. I don't worry about it.

Jeff

Yes, I always have to press the detect button twice after I do a noise cancel. If I don't, my machine will still function normally, but, it will not display the vdi, only the noise cancel screen. It has been like that from day one.

I usually press the detect mode button vice the detect/pinpoint button to exit out of the settings menu.  The manual states you can use either.  I have never seen the double press issue when doing it either way, but most of my experience is using the detect mode push button.  Don’t know if that has something to do with it.  Since pinpoint is probably the most used button on the panel, I will take advantage of any opportunity to avoid pressing it if I don’t have to (by using an alternate button press method).  Those control panel membrane switches are probably the weak link from a long term wear perspective.

• Like 1

I always have to press the pinpoint button twice after noise cancel and so do other people I hunt with.  I never use the pinpoint button for anything else, not even to pinpoint. When you say the screen froze, what does it do?  Can you detect with it but not get any VDI #’s or just doesn’t work at all.  Are you doing your test indoors or outdoors?

On 7/16/2019 at 2:31 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

That happens to me sometimes, especially the first time I noise cancel or ground balance in the user modes I'm using.

That is usually the only time it happens. I don't worry about it.

When I turn on the Eqx I just go down the list, starting with Noise Cancel, then Ground Balance, and all they way down to Recovery Speed.  It may have happened to me that I've had to hit an 'Exit' button twice (I typically use the Pinpoint button to exit) but not enough that I've ever noticed.  And, yes, after getting started I sometimes change settings, particularly Recovery Speed and occasionally a Noise Cancel sequence.  Still don't recall having to hit an Exit button twice.  I'll try to be aware of this from now on to see if it ever happens.

Oh, I'm using the newer 1.75 software.  Outside chance, but could that be the difference?

Solved! (I think).

After some playing around with Equinox I think I figured this one out.  If you noise cancel, you will see the "progress" bar graph make its way around the VDI/Disc Pattern circle as it tests all channels.  If you attempt to move on to a new setting or go back to detect mode while the bar graph is present, then you will have to hit the button again.  However, if you wait a second or two for the bar graph to disappear, then only one button press is needed to switch back to detect mode or move on to the next setting menu item (ground balance).  I tested this out and I can make it do either repeatedly depending on whether or not I wait for the bar graph to disappear.  It is a little quirky behavior, but if you know what is going on, it is really a non-issue.  Bottom line, give it a second or two after completion of the noise cancel before you press any buttons and you won't have to press that button twice.  Problem solved.  Let me know if you are seeing the same thing I am.  Would like to put this to bed for Deep1 so he can get some detecting in with his Equinox and be spending less time with ML repair and the post office.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Solved! (I think).

After some playing around with Equinox I think I figured this one out.  If you noise cancel, you will see the "progress" bar graph make its way around the VDI/Disc Pattern circle as it tests all channels.  If you attempt to move on to a new setting or go back to detect mode while the bar graph is present, then you will have to hit the button again.  However, if you wait a second or two for the bar graph to disappear, then only one button press is needed two switch back to detect mode or move on to the next setting menu item (ground balance).  I tested this out and I can make it do either repeatedly depending on whether or not I wait for the bar graph to disappear.  It is a little quirky behavior, but if you know what is going on, it is really a non-issue.  Bottom line, give it a second or two after completion of the noise cancel before you press any buttons and you won't have to press that button twice.  Problem solved.  Let me know if you are seeing the same thing I am.  Would like to put this to bed for Deep1 so he can get some detecting in with his Equinox and be spending less time with ML repair and the post office.

Chase I think you’re 100% right in your assessment, however who has a second to waste when there’s gold that needs to be found ??

• Like 1