Couple Of Days 12" Xing

IMG_20190717_092313_0.thumb.jpg.15cbd9f254c3f726bb6a8ef7abb3d428.jpg

Latest 12" X mission over, was staying out 2 nights but the frost sent me home to the warm bed, plus I lost my pick, walked couple of ks blew a couple of hours and could not find it. Yeah, yeah I know how can one lose a 3ft long pick, done it before will no doubt do it again. I am convinced there is a pick stealing triantiwontigong that exists on all gold fields I have visited.

Lot of talk about settings and ground balancing methods lately, as we have often discussed before, these are individual settings and no one has the correct settings for anyone but themselves.

Very simply my current, and I say current because I will go with what gets the gold whether settings or hardware. Settings are semi auto, general, no audio or ground smoothing, volume 7, threshold 24-27 depending on wind noise (WM12 no booster or h/phones) normal mostly but difficult when patch hunting usually, sensitivity between 8-20. Ground balance is.... no use of Quick track button, no ferrite simply let the Z do it`s thing, it is next to the SDC the easiest gold detector I`ve ever used. KISS (Keep It Simple Sir) occasionally as I`ve said years back I`ll go into manual but very rarely as it requires having to fool the Z into doing a Quick Track. ML if you listening give us firmware that has an option allowing us to avoid this forcing of QT. I am very sure I am not the Lone Ranger in this request.

Crikey another photo posted, I am going soft no...……...

I

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, I carry my smart phone with oziexplorer running in my pocket, this crazy vegemite had put the phone in pocket upside down, GPS antenna facing down thus no track. I think as I was carrying it in hand I`d put it down on way as I returned to last dig site and it wasn`t there. Good excuse to nick out and look for it later in week, but I suspect the triantiwontigong has moved it into his collection...……..

Is that the spiral or bundle 12" Norvic? How do you like that coil now that you've had a run of different sizes for a while? I'm hoping it can turn into my daily use coil if it's roughly as sensitive to the sub-2 gram stuff as the Z14.

Tangentially, last winter I realized I had lost my WM12, went back and walked 6 miles of ATV tracks on my GPS and was able to find it buried in a tire track with only a bit of the rear clip showing above ground, so glad I had GPS tracks recording or it'd be lost forever...

X Coil 2021 News

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Norvic said:

Very simply my current, and I say current because I will go with what gets the gold whether settings or hardware. Settings are semi auto, general, no audio or ground smoothing, volume 7, threshold 24-27 depending on wind noise (WM12 no booster or h/phones) normal mostly but difficult when patch hunting usually, sensitivity between 8-20. Ground balance is.... no use of Quick track button, no ferrite simply let the Z do it`s thing, it is next to the SDC the easiest gold detector I`ve ever used. KISS (Keep It Simple Sir) occasionally as I`ve said years back I`ll go into manual but very rarely as it requires having to fool the Z into doing a Quick Track. ML if you listening give us firmware that has an option allowing us to avoid this forcing of QT. I am very sure I am not the Lone Ranger in this request.

Norvic, this advice might help you. When you go from Semi-Auto to Manual and back again direct from the Ground Balance menu of the GPZ it always suggest the need for Ferrite balancing by playing the Quick-Trak Guide on your screen, to avoid this you can do three things,

1. Turn Guides off in the Guides Menu
  2. Use the BACK ARROW button twice to cancel the Guide
  3. Preprogram the USER button to Ground Balance Mode

If you use the USER button to access the Ground Balance menu the Quick-Trak guide video is not played, there is never any need to use Quick-Trak when going from Manual to Semi-Auto mode, just pump the coil and keep walking. 

Hope this helps

JP

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jasong said:

Is that the spiral or bundle 12" Norvic? How do you like that coil now that you've had a run of different sizes for a while? I'm hoping it can turn into my daily use coil if it's roughly as sensitive to the sub-2 gram stuff as the Z14.

Tangentially, last winter I realized I had lost my WM12, went back and walked 6 miles of ATV tracks on my GPS and was able to find it buried in a tire track with only a bit of the rear clip showing above ground, so glad I had GPS tracks recording or it'd be lost forever...

Spiral, Jasong, love the coil, stable as, fair bit more sensitive then the 14"ML or 15"X coil. Cannot comment too much on comparison to the 10" bundle as have only used it for 1 day, with the massive grass cover in my area the 12" has gone to be my go to coil, but I know that will change once the grass cover has been eaten out by the cattle. Just magic having a choice of coil sizes.

You too...…... re. lost WM12, son & I went on 6 km walk into a prospective area last season, on way it had dropped off my shoulder, didn`t notice it missing until going to turn on, long story short, I spent day helping son dig virgin gold but followed GPS track back to camp late in arvo. and found the WM12 under a low tree branch we`d had to limbo under. Since have fixed WM12 on harness properly, but not got around to putting a set of earphones in back pack. Most of my country is rugged inaccessible by wheels, shanks`s ponies the only way, tis one reason virgin gold`s still about. 

56 minutes ago, phrunt said:

No wonder you Aussies laugh at our NZ gold flakes! We work very hard to get them though

No way will you hear me laugh at your nugget size unless in jest, there are pieces in photo all below 0.2 gram to not giving a weight reading on scales, I should have spread them more.

That certainly does help, you know I`d set the user button to manual yonks back but hadn`t got aroundtoit since update or reset buh…... Old fella syndrome, many thanks JP.

PS. Did straight away, easy as, now why didn`t I go there before......don`t laugh we all get old fellas syndrome if we are fortunate to live long.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice gold, Norvic!  I lost two picks before I learned to really keep tabs on it.  I even put yellow reflective tape on it every other 2 inches so that I can measure depth more accurately.  It can still be tough to find in the day time … but at night, o man …. it reflects the light like the eyes of a mountain lion.  You'll always find it.  Hmmm.... now that you mention it, I should put some on my WM12.  I've almost lost it a few times.

• Like 1

Reflective tape and fluorescent tape has saved a lot of my equipment. 

Nice work Norvic

Good tip JP

I go to school every day in here...

• Like 1

Yeah, haven`t lost a pick for a few years, next one will have reflective & fluorescent tape on it, our current grass height being 3ft plus makes it difficult you could near walk over a bare pick and not notice but with the tape. But I`m heading back in a couple of days, and if I force myself to walk in there without my spare pick I`ll find it for sure, course there`s a bigger patch calling me there.

I just had an idea. You know those gps trackers (see pic below), like "Tile pro" and so on? What if you taped it onto the handle of your pick somewhere? Then if you "misplaced" it, you just track back to it. (I think it has a smartphone app that it works with.) Just a thought.

Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 9.38.00 PM.jpg

• Like 2