32" Detech Concentric Coil

Jin

2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Oh ... that is part of what I was wondering.  How would it be controlled.  So, I still have a 5000 and could use that feature.

Will you be able to use the discrimination on the QED?

Mitchel

You set the "iron reject" level of your choice on the GPX's for the CC coils, just like you do with a DD.

As I said, no discrimination available on the "Kwed". 

• Like 1

Do they make a coil without that discrimination that would work better on the Kwed?

• Like 1

Thanks JR;

I don't mean to be obtuse or beat a dead horse...

I have read that  the Detech DD works very well to discriminate iron...

Does it really work that well?  I have had several MINELAB PI's including the 5000 and would not trust the discrimination on a bad bet!

Minelad's dd coils could not be relied at all in that respect...in my very, very,

un-humble opinion

fred

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Do they make a coil without that discrimination that would work better on the Kwed?

2 hours ago, fredmason said:

Thanks JR;

I don't mean to be obtuse or beat a dead horse...

I have read that  the Detech DD works very well to discriminate iron...

Does it really work that well?  I have had several MINELAB PI's including the 5000 and would not trust the discrimination on a bad bet!

Minelab's dd coils could not be relied at all in that respect...in my very, very,

un-humble opinion

fred

Fred and MN:

Discrimination is not a feature I have much use for. Because I work on "new" ground I rarely encounter junk at depth. It's too easy to get locked into relying on discrimination. I've lost count of the number of times Jimmy, Reg or myself have dug good gold under an old bolt or such on previously detected ground. Moral of the story, don't rely heavily on discriminators when prospecting.

All I can say in relation to the CC coils is that the iron reject function works, as to whether or not it is as good or better than a DD then you'll have to ask someone who cares! 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, kiwijw said:

I second that JR 👍 I dig everything.

Hey JR...Do you follow the rugby? All Blacks play your Aussie Wallabies tonight in Perth. First Bledisloe Cup match. Should be a good trans tasman hit up. Your guys Wallabies are showing some improvement. So should make a game of it. 😜

Here is a pre match Haka, War challenge, from the All Blacks Game 3 of last years Bledisloe cup game.

JW 🤠

Gotta be honest Kiwi, if there's one thing I care about less than discrimination it's "thugby" 👎 

Anyway, you Kiwi's always win!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was not so much thinking of the discrimination for use as a strictly 'iron target' device but also a feature of the coil that could be used to negate ground magnetism and hot rocks.  It would make that coil undesirable to hunt for meteorites but could possibly allow for detecting on some of our ground with iron stones that stick very hard to a magnet when dug.  I'd gladly skip digging 50 ironstones in favor of only hearing one or two nuggets of size!

Mitchel

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just got mine last week, but have not had a chance to test in the field yet. Air tests were impressive to say the least on GPX, but not good at all on QED. Will take the coil to Howard to see if he can work out why this is so, as the DD coils work well on QED since his last upgrade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Funny how a lotta people are interested in concentric coils now apparently.... another manufacturer made a few prototype 18" ones back in 2013, it flogged the NF superlite mono and 18 Commander mono (I saw it in action doing just that) and no-one was particularly interested. They wanted 10 pre-orders to make up the shells and couldn't get any more than 4 on the books. Go figure....