My Thoughts On The X Coil

Hey Steve,

You and I have known each other for a long time, even had some great times metal detecting together.  That being said, the X-coils at this point scare me off.  I had an opportunity a month or so ago to test several different sizes from someone that is affiliated with the manufacture.  I was a bit excited at first, then found out I would have to cut/modify an adapter/chip from another GPZ coil to use one of the X-coils.  

To me, the trade off to damage or destroy a $600 - $1500 coil to just get an adapter to work on an X-coil is not my cup of tea.  I don't need a smaller coil that bad to do this.  That being said, other guys like to modify/fix/tinkle or whatever might enjoy this.  

I find the GPZ 7000 stock coil plenty sensitive enough to find gold down to a grain in size.  However, a smaller coil like an 11" or so would be nice for tighter areas or areas with more vegetation.  

We were kind of promised a smaller coil originally from Minelab and that never happened.  I think one more smaller coil from Minelab would have eliminated most of this stuff about smaller coils. 

Keep in mind, at one point I sold more Coiltek searchcoils across the US than any other dealer.  I could probably sell a ton of the X-coils, but not at the cost of sacrificing a detectors warranty.  

For the benefit of all GPZ owners, I hope someone like Coiltek, Nuggetfinder, Minelab, X-coils or whoever can find a better way to make a coil that will just plug right into the GPZ and work.  

Just my thoughts,

Rob Allison

X Coil 2021 News

• Like 9

Hey Steve,

No problem on moving the thread.  Another point I had was -

The money to justify another coil to find smaller gold, smaller than what the stock 14x13 can find, in my opinion is not worth it.  I have seen several threads of guys with a smaller X-coil that are now finding dinks.  

My overall mentality is, do I want to go back to old spots and find 1-2 grams of dinks hunting all day, or just concentrate my effort going forward exploring new ground in hopes for more sizable gold.  I guess it comes down to time, as mine is very limited so the risk/reward for me is to concentrate on new spots and potential of larger gold with the stock GPZ 14x13.  

I have played this game, chasing smaller gold with smaller coils for over 20 years now, going back to the SD series, GP series, GPX series, and should I do it again with the GPZ ...... :blush:

Rob Allison

• Like 8

Rob, I do notice that you usually come up with good sized gold.

I can remember when I was dredging in the late 70's with an older fella, he constantly used to throw away everything left on the carpet after he took off "the pickers." He would say "well Dave, it's fine gold, who wants fine gold?" I always remember that when I'm out there in 90 degrees scounging for a flake or two so I won't be skunked. In other words I totally agree with you.

A small coil would be great for rocky or tight areas, but your point is well made.

Like flak I mainly wanted a small coil for getting into tighter locations where the 14” won’t fit. Between rocks and in Nevada the thick sagebrush areas. I am content to wait for something that just plugs in, but I also think anyone that wants to give these coils a go... well more power to them.

But for normal use I agree the 14” hits plenty small while still giving the depth on larger gold and covering the ground. And it comes with the detector. :smile: I learned myself a long time ago if I want weight I have to hunt for larger gold. I can always find gold looking for tiny bits, but then that’s what I tend to find... tiny bits.

This all could have been avoided by Minelab delivering on the small coil. Clearly they can be made, even if it means some sort of compromise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

This all could have been avoided by Minelab delivering on the small coil. Clearly they can be made, even if it means some sort of compromise.

I'm still mystified by this decision - and clearly it was a decision, that's not something you 'forget' to do. ML would have made quite a bit of money imho, I can't imagine anyone with a GPZ who wouldn't want one. 

I don't want a smaller coil, I have an SDC for that.

I want a bigger coil. I had the 19" which I had good success with but it was a specialized coil for deeper ground...not a prospecting coil especially due to it's weight.

I want a larger coil I can both hit deeper ground with plus hopefully step it out prospecting with.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

I'm still mystified by this decision - and clearly it was a decision, that's not something you 'forget' to do. ML would have made quite a bit of money imho, I can't imagine anyone with a GPZ who wouldn't want one. 

Mystified?  Madtuna answers it right below your post …  :)

16 minutes ago, madtuna said:

I don't know if it would compete with the SDC, but my guess is that it would be close enough. The 14x13 in  my opinion gets the same size gold, just a little shallower.  Now you give a smaller coil and that SDC has competition.  Minelab probably doesn't want to compete with other products that are still going well.  My .02.

Andyy

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Andyy said:

But why would someone with a GPZ want to pay  $3750 for essentially a smaller coil? I guess that's considered "good business" but I don't necessarily agree.

• Like 4