My Thoughts On The X Coil

21 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

The one question that I have yet to see answered in a clear way is; what quality control is being adhered to with x-coil manufacturing?

Coming from many years of hand making a consumer product, that quality control is in the builders skill set and attitude towards making as good a product as possible. The customer will judge this and word of mouth will carry the pros and cons to other potential buyers. Personally I believe a hand made product by a craftsmen is as good in quality control or even better then mass produced, tis all in the hands of the craftsmen and his desire to sell his product. It is a juggling match as he has to make money from the venture.

• Like 3

Thanks Steve, this tracks with the information I have been able to get - but coming from someone with your background certainly carries much more weight.

This line of questions is not to try to bag the x-coils. I am as interested in them being a step up as anyone but I also want to understand as much as possible about what I am getting before I put my GPZ on the line to eek out that next step in sensitivity - especially as I seem to have an extremely sensitive stock 7000.

17 minutes ago, Norvic said:

Coming from many years of hand making a consumer product, that quality control is in the builders skill set and attitude towards making as good a product as possible. The customer will judge this and word of mouth will carry the pros and cons to other potential buyers. Personally I believe a hand made product by a craftsmen is as good in quality control or even better then mass produced, tis all in the hands of the craftsmen and his desire to sell his product. It is a juggling match as he has to make money from the venture.

That is very true Norvic. What is also true is we are all human and failures occur whenever humans are in the mix. Not targeting X coil. All coil manufacturing efforts... well, I’ve seen it all and I will leave it at that. People genuinely have no real idea how many substandard coils are in use no matter who makes them. And foam filled coils in particular can degrade with use.

Watching the two videos I posted above is enlightening.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

But why would someone with a GPZ want to pay  $3750 for essentially a smaller coil? I guess that's considered "good business" but I don't necessarily agree.

You have a good arguement, but I know multiple people who own both the SDC and the GPZ.  There are people paying for both.  I was almost one of those people. ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

That is very true Norvic. What is also true is we are all human and failures occur whenever humans are in the mix. Not targeting X coil. All coil manufacturing efforts... well, I’ve seen it all and I will leave it at that. People genuinely have no real idea how many substandard coils are in use no matter who makes them. And foam filled coils in particular can degrade with use.

Watching the two videos I posted above is enlightening.

Yeah, I suspect we posted at the same time almost, because I have Satellite internet I have a wee more time delay and don`t always get a message that someone else has posted. Those vids are certainly enlightening, my perspective comes from building a consumer product for many years.

• Like 4

Looking at those two videos you would think that one would see people out detecting as a common occurrence yet I hardly ever run into anyone and I live in a metropolitan area...yes hard to decide which is better factory or custom built....Humans create and program computers....just saying

strick

To this day I have never, despite very heavy lobbying efforts, been able to get anyone to recreate the Jim Karbowski Bigfoot coil. 3” x 18” figure 8 winding, highly EMI resistant and perhaps the best park and field jewelry coil ever made when paired with a DFX or V3i. Used ones over a decade later sell for twice what they did new. I keep a V3i for no other reason than that it will run a Bigfoot. But despite the fact they often sell for over $500 used nobody will make them. Why? Tedious hand built coils, every one a work of art. Nothing wrong with hand made at all as long as the maker takes care and has pride in the work.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andyy said:

You have a good arguement, but I know multiple people who own both the SDC and the GPZ.  There are people paying for both. 

Well Andyy, that may be true but it doesn't change the fact that, in essence, the SDC becomes a 3700 dollar smaller coil. That's an extravagance most of us cannot afford.

• Like 2