My Thoughts On The X Coil

Hey Guys,

I agree, the SDC 2300 and GPZ 7000 is a powerful combo, but I think it comes down to your invest cost.  I'm sure most of the customers out there would love to have a combo of $12,000 in detectors.   Most of the average prospectors out there might not even be able to budget the SDC 2300 @ $3,750.  A matter of fact, I know this for a fact, as I talk with customers daily that would love to own just an entry level PI. 

I ended up selling my SDC 2300 as I felt like I could only use one detector at a time and didn't want a $4,000 detector just sitting around most of the time depreciating in value. 

The smarter solution might be a good Pulse Induction detector (Minelab SD, GP, GPX unit, White's TDI, Garrett ATX) and a high end VLF detector for your shallow ground or clean up. 

I'm not trying to take any steam or attention from the Russian "X-coils" for the Minelab GPZ 7000.  I would be very interested in one of these coils, if it was proven and didn't require any type of modification or adapter. 

I have very little hope anymore of Minelab making a smaller GPZ coil ...... :unsure:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well I got the 11"" Coiltek coil for the SDC at roughly same time I got the 10"X coil for the Z, gave them both a days run each, could not differentiate in performance, although I lean a wee towards the 10"X for depth, trouble is the son left his 12"X coil and that hit the spot big time, thus I don`t see  either the 11"SDC or 10"XZ seeing a lot of work. The 12"X and the 15"X will see plenty of work, as they suit the ground I work. Without knowing the ground someone works I`d recommend the 12"X if they were going for just one and had a Z, will complement the standard 14"ML and give them a much more versatile Z. In cost well the 15" &12"X in the short time I`ve had them have  well & truly paid for these recent coil purchases, but detect gold is almost all I do in our winters.

I suspect as you do Rob we will not see a smaller ML GPZ coil...…..but maybe a solution to the patch lead is coming.

• Like 7

On 7/19/2019 at 3:47 PM, Jin said:

Im hearing you. My family thinks ive gone mad. Especially after each trip where i dont find gold and say im selling my gear. But a day later im on the forums and doing more research frothing at the mouth ready for the next trip.

Being new to the hobby I was fortunate to pick the brain of a 30 year prospector, right of the bat he said he sometimes goes months without any gold, sure he could go to known spots and get some, but he is always looking for new ground.

It sort of calibrated my head a bit not to get discouraged after all those kms walking on the hunt and every so often it pays off with a new patch.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Mop said:

Being new to the hobby I was fortunate to pick the brain of a 30 year prospector, right of the bat he said he sometimes goes months without any gold, sure he could go to known spots and get some, but he is always looking for new ground.

It sort of calibrated my head a bit not to get discouraged after all those kms walking on the hunt and every so often it pays off with a new patch.

Got to agree patch huntings the go, sometimes it is amazing where you find a virgin patch, most unlikely places that all research in the world would not assist you in finding, no visible "signs" whether going by surface rocks or vegetation types that sometimes in the past helped you find patches, miles from any old workings. Requires many hours of swinging and discipline that stops you from following the thinking that over there might be better, firstly finish where you are then go over there. A geologist mate tells me, geos can tell you why you found it in that particular place after some examination but can`t tell you where until you`ve found it. Luck it is not, is pure stubborn persistent footwork.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Norvic said:

Got to agree patch huntings the go

Thats the problem for me. Many miles from the goldfields and a lot of my time is spent well away from diggings looking for patches. Come home many times with no gold. I only get out about once every month for 2 days detecting atm. Once you've found a few nice patches looking for crumbs in surfaced areas or mullock heaps just doesn't excite anymore.

• Like 3

Just checked the tracking and it should arrive tomorrow. Sent my 14" coil off yesterday, so as soon as Pat makes the patch lead and sends it back ill be able to get out and try both coils.

• Like 1

Thanks Dave, The 20" coil arrived this morning. Going to make a good patch hunting coil I think. I miss my 18" Elite.

IMG_2759.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 7/18/2019 at 11:34 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

A

At the very end of the video they stamp detectors with serial numbers of the $2 bills that they presumably include with the machine.  How does this scheme help in counterfeit reduction?