Do You Have A Four Legged Prospecting Buddy?

I was raised in Alaska in a subsistence lifestyle. My father was young and trying to raise a family. Store bought food was imported and expensive. Fishing, trapping, and hunting helped support the family. I did not eat beef until I was quite along in years, with salmon, caribou, and moose plus garden grown vegetables being the daily fare.

That being the case my father favored hunting dogs, and it was he that started the Golden Retriever trend. A well trained Golden rivals the Labs when it comes to obedience. They are not just good hunting dogs but wonderful family dogs. Unfortunately they can’t find gold!

I also ended up with three large English Bulldogs at the same time we had Kirby. Yes, four large dogs is a bit much. That was my wife’s doing :smile:. They are not good for much but lots of smiles. Hugely lovable beasts, I miss them, Teddy ❤️ in particular. After all the large dogs passed we moved to Reno and downsized both in home size and dog size. Made the shift to miniature dachshunds, both long and short haired. These are my little girls and I spoil and dote on them to no end. They are Lilly, Eleanor, and Fluffy. Lilly is a Daddy’s Girl and rules the pack, Eleanor is a double dapple rescue dog and the clown of the pack, and Fluffy is the lookout/protector.

I prefer dogs to most people being quite an introvert myself. My girls all have distinct personalities and bring joy to my life every day. Anyone that gets to know dogs the way I have can’t help but love all animals. They have lives and emotions and “animal” does not do them justice. They are living beings. If there was only one thing I could change in my life it would be to give back the lives of the large number of “animals” I wantonly killed for sport or pleasure when I was younger. I am a bit horrified by that now looking back but it was just the environment of the time. Mind you I don’t question hunting to put food on the table. But I will never again kill another creature for sport for as long as I live. I simply would not be able to pull the trigger now and prefer a camera instead.

91BEA942-829D-4CE1-BB38-47ECEB27D937.jpeg

Lilly, Eleanor, and Fluffy

• Like 8

I agree Steve...I was a hunter and killer in my youth for meat and just for the lust of killing. I am sorry for that and happy to have evolved a very little bit...

I had a yellow Lab once. Some dickhead shot her-Broke my heart then and still...no more dogs for me!

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

I’m sorry to hear that Fred. It is a quandary and my having so many dogs it’s been tough too many times. It’s just a reminder though that no matter how many days we are given it never seems enough in the end. So cherish those in your life, two legs or four or none, each and every day. When the time comes it seems impossible to not regret having not given them even more love while they were here.

• Like 6

I've always maintained that Gods curse on man was making dogs so short lived...Very painful when they go. Buddy is the first dog I've had in about 30 years. I quit hunting a while ago as well... metal detecting (treasure hunting) is so much more rewarding. 

strick

• Like 4

My girl Lucy, she hits local fields with me.

1173842_606525899437500_590799433_n.jpg

• Like 9

This is my new prospecting buddy. (English Staffy) Probably too much of a pain in the neck to take out with me yet but hopefully in 6 months time. Wife decided to do a Instagram page to document his life and share stuff with friends. So far all he does is eat, sleep, poop and chew everything in sight. 

6609F7C5-15BF-4671-BD3D-59E14F6AB1E0.png

• Like 7