Do You Have A Four Legged Prospecting Buddy?

I didn’t want another dog.  Still don’t.  It’s not even my dog.  But apparently I’m her human. 

Poor judge of character I reckon  🤣

CA668CEA-7D96-4234-B4A9-BF53F1D24E0C.thumb.png.8d9ec9ac8b306eed86e6044056be41a1.png3A16BFB5-8664-4A27-AF22-61D67124724D.thumb.png.dcfd87208cdcfd9c778c075295c9bf91.pngA571E243-E2C5-4330-B9D3-10C4F83C417F.thumb.png.070f104c62b0995cb5dab6f01aaf9abb.pngFE1559B7-1369-4373-A54C-D5950B617712.thumb.png.f9a68de4190eda5c106257de9c0c33be.png29CD1009-7A14-4273-B5C0-2E82FB4A30A8.thumb.png.359bfa741dc6173f44022fead805cf84.png3D81B06B-41A9-4A0E-AF26-5E912AB81B71.thumb.png.819fae865f54e8f718809e4077ece19d.png

• Like 8

Looks like I'm the only cat man:

IMGP0381.JPG.8ab3826944181ffa821387b2870109fe.JPG

"Tigga" (as a youngster above) is a bit of a homebody. He prefers keeping the bed warm from the inside during winter, snuggled up real close.

917686608_tigwigandI.thumb.JPG.145de74db3531f016fb96c59b66c4b6d.JPG

He's a big cat and loves catching rabbits, brings them through the cat flap and then consumes them, naturally, under the dining room table on ever ready strategically placed newspapers. There's nothing he loves more than being "bashed" with a rolled up newspaper, which he eventually shreds. He wouldn't have a clue about prospecting, and probably couldn't care less.

Always waiting for me at the door when I return from a days work. Meg tells me he frets when I'm away prospecting.

I've had a lot of close cat friends over the years and hopefully, some of them might put in a good word for me eventually - not that I'm religious - but you just never know eh? Karma and all that -

• Like 7

You ain't the only cat guy here and now that we are being politically correct and standing up for cat rights (in a dog world)  I'll just have to post 2 of my girls (got 3 cats, no dogs) to balance things out on this dog biased thread!.....lol

P7220003_1.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 6 months later...
9 hours ago, Dances With Doves said:

all those specimens take up a lot of room. Where do you store them, Fort Gerry?

Once a month I have to go into the backyard and dig up the old grave.  I add a few offerings to keep the gods happy.  Idaho is an open carry state and I don't mind trading lead with someone stupid enough to jump my fence.  They need to get past my security first.

This young fur ball grew up into serious fury, when riled up.

Hero1a.jpg

HeroC.jpg

• Like 5

That will do it.  A German Shepard is the only dog that ever bit me.  I was a kid and it was a relatives dog but he got me on the arm and he was on a chain.  I know they can be great but I pay them great respect.  (I mostly avoid them but don't fear them.)

25 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

That will do it.  A German Shepard is the only dog that ever bit me.  I was a kid and it was a relatives dog but he got me on the arm and he was on a chain.  I know they can be great but I pay them great respect.  (I mostly avoid them but don't fear them.)

Sorry to hear you were bit as a kid, I was never bitten, but I was with my younger brother when we were kids and I remember a big dog ran after us.  We took off running and the big dog got ahold of my brother pretty bad on the back of his leg.  Poor kid had to get quite a few stitches.  I respect all dogs, even the little yappers.  My Hero is very good with most people, but when given the command, he turns into a body guard faster than most people can blink.

Part of the reason to have Hero, is the amount of strangers who show up at my place.  1st off, he lets them know he is here as soon as they pull up.  Then he really gets excited when they step onto the porch.  I command him to stand down as they come in.  Most folks are fine, but on occasion I get a few people who decide it is not safe.  If they are not comfortable, I can then put Hero in the back.

The other reason for Hero, is the times I'm on the road.  He keeps mama safe and watches over the place.

• Like 3

That is one beautiful animal.  I know a lot about German Shepherds.  At one time in the early 70's my wife and I owned the largest German Shepherd Kennel in the United States.

All of our dogs were imported from Germany.  Our two stud dogs were out of the Number 1 producer of normal hips  and the Number 2 producer of normal hips in all of Germany.

All our dogs had the "A" stamp German certification for normal hips and many times we got them OFA certified too.

I revamped the K9 unit when I was on the police department.  I replaced all of the dogs with German Shepherds that had Schutzhund training degrees.

Damn he is gorgeous .

Doc

• Like 2

German Shepherds are most loyal and extremely smart.  

I learned something new about you Doc.  I did not realize how seriously involved you were with them.  Glad to know you are a Shepherd fan too.

My wife and I had four miniature dachshunds, three which were pictured earlier in the thread. We lost the oldest girl a little over a year ago. My current oldest, Lilly, came from a great breeder in New Mexico, and is kind of the perfect little long haired miniature. They contacted us to let us know they were getting out of the business but had one last litter, same parents as Lilly. We decided we better grab one while we could. So a couple months ago we welcomed a new pup to the pack. Adorable little girl, sitting on my lap right now! :smile:

1AB9D2D9-3CBF-485F-96FF-DCEA3EB1FBC7.jpeg
A594793A-D121-456B-B079-1DF0D652182E.jpeg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

My wife and I had four miniature dachshunds, three which were pictured earlier in the thread. We lost the oldest girl a little over a year ago. My current oldest, Lilly, came from a great breeder in New Mexico, and is kind of the perfect little long haired miniature. They contacted us to let us know they were getting out of the business but had one last litter, same parents as Lilly. We decided we better grab one while we could. So a couple months ago we welcomed a new pup to the pack. Adorable little girl, sitting on my lap right now! :smile:

I love Dachshunds.  Steve do they like to be covered up?  Every Dachshund I have ever known loves to be under the covers.

When I used to go to Germany to buy dogs, the big three in popularity were Shepherds Long haired Dachshunds and Rottie's.  In fact most of the GS breeders over there also had Dachshunds.  Not for breeding but as their other pets.

In Germany your Shepherds go everywhere with you.  Restaurants, stores, everywhere.

The SV which is the registration organization for German Shepherds is extremely strict.

If I had a female and I wanted to breed to Gerry's male we would first have to get permission from the SV.  First both animals would have to have their first Schutzhund training degree which involves Obedience, Tracking and bite work.  Then they would check to make sure breeding on those lines had no "breed warnings."  A breed warning is something that indicates breeding dogs from certain lines produce a deficit in the breed.  Maybe it's limp ears, or monorchids, males that have one testicle, or overshot bites, etc.

If there are breed warnings you can not breed your two dogs.

Let's say you are given permission and Gerry and I breed our two dogs.  My bitch has 8 puppies.  We must immediately notify the breed warden in our area.

The breed warden comes and inspects the 8 puppies for any defects.  If any puppy has a defect they snap their neck and throw them in a gunny sack.  If after inspection all 8 puppies are fine they ask you which 6 you want to keep.  The other two are killed.  A female is only allowed to have 6 puppies as they believe that is all a female can adequately care for and give each one proper nourishment.

The pedigree issued by the SV for each dog in a litter will say right on it, 2, 0 Amenaufzucht.  I think that is the word, I might have the spelling off,  that means 2 males and 0 females were killed.

So the German's have taken their idea of a "master race" and applied it to dogs.

Doc

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1