I found this at the same place the 1899 Barber Dime came from, the old farm where I grew up in Wisconsin. It appears to be brass, and the thin strip of metal makes a "bwonggg" sound when plucked. Any guesses?

15634993027293003716212943766997.jpg

15634993547985069946512274056365.jpg

1563499647167692589709952316925.jpg

15634996860034207889030858183887.jpg

15634997058111035399401267632306.jpg

15634997637313360003453459405741.jpg

It appears to be a variety of jews harp.  Also known as a mouth harp.  It is placed against the teeth and stroked.  The nature of the sound is controlled by the inner shape of the mouth.

I don't think so. Everyone I've ever seen is open on one end and has a tab on the spring metal to make it easy to pluck. My only though was some kind of feeding mechanism (mechanical, not food) but there are no screw holes to mount it. No idea.

The little recessed tab make it look like it slid into place maybe. I'd say a part off something,  but no idea what.

If it was bigger I'd think maybe a gun part where you feed cartridges in, but too small for that.

Knife/file case where you push the small blade forward. ??

Looks like some kind of reed, some kind of musical instrument?

Norm

• Like 1

Good thoughts, everybody! Because it was found in a farm, I thought maybe it was from a crop planter of some sort. It looks like it would have slid into something and the groove at the flat end would allow it to be pulled back out. The reed would meter the seed somehow, and the slanted surface on the one side would funnel the seed to the reed. Only my guess, however. Anyone know a really old farmer who might know?

That's a great guess

It’s a reed from an old pump organ.   Just google search pump organ reed and you will find pics of similar reeds both old and new!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Againstmywill
      Was on a football field today using the 15" in park 1 and hit a jumpy signal. I decided to dig it because it was loud and chaotic sounding... probably like was said about it by the parents of the teen who owned it originally. When I got it home, I checked to see if there was a tape in it. The tape cover popped off and emptied a full load of wet sand onto the floor...still being obnoxious.  This is the first one of these that I have ever dug. Bucket list: cassette player...check. 

• By OFS
      I am getting a GPX5000 and have a new problem to solve, what is the best way to transport it when flying?
      Thanks in advance for your advice!

Cheers
    • By Bobbo
      Hello all,
      My soon-to-be-fiancée and I are heading to Arizona in a few weeks. She's a Science teacher and loves ALL things space. I want to take her meteorite hunting but have NO clue where to start. For the folks whose ever been to Holbrook, I have a few questions:
      1. Are there metal detector rental places nearby? We're flying in from Florida so I'd like to purchase/rent when we get there.
      2. If we drive into Holbrook, are there maps telling you where to go hunt? I'll continue to look for GPS coordinates before I go. I've read folks talking about railroad tracks...
      3. Are metal detectors the best way to find something? Can you "drag a magnet" or use the naked eye?
      Thanks for any replies. ANY help will be much appreciated.
      -Bobbo

• By RioTexas
      Found four old buttons near a dugout in north Texas. Just hoping someone has any info on these. Thanks

• By Diggin' It
      I knew my house was old, but just recently found out the owners had this property in 1850. So far no silver, or old coins even, but some interesting finds. I just bought a White's MX7 back in May, and haven't had the opportunity to use it a lot, but I'm giving it a workout lately.

• By ukaradag
      Hi all,
      I need some help. I want to buy a detector. But my budget is limited(say i can buy a garret 400i or a fisher gold bug 2). 
      For me the depth is important after that iron discriminatin comes. I wil use it for gold prospecting(!check the picure, with gold what i mean). The depth is around 3 or 4 feet. Can you give me some advises for getting a detector? What kind of detector can detect this kind of treasure?
      Thank you very much.