Guess Who Got A New Gold Pan?

Phrunt; Actually some slight surface rust is desired, it creates a rough surface to slow down the flour gold. A pretty gold pan is somewhat like people, it doesn't work as well as one thats aged a bit!!! 

Ausome

• Like 1

Fred got it right. Most of my pans only had one rim in it. The first thing we did was turn it upside down on top of the camp fire till it went blue/black in colour. This got all the grease off and made a nice colour to see the gold. I also made a flat point in the rim which allow me to get the last bit of junk out. I found the larger the base the easier it was to get the gold to show. The plastic pan were good to use a magnet under it to separate the magnetic black sand for the gold.

The bottom dish is a Bakelite pan 

Gold-Pan.jpg

wa1 (3).JPG

• Like 1

As JW explained, surface tension is a problem with very fine gold dust as it floats on top of the water in the pan. A small drop of detergent in the pan will stop it when needed.

Here we go again. I still believe using anything other than a steel pan boarders on unredeemable blasphamy. If Mr. Phrunt would drive by on his next outing I will give him a couple of quik lessons with a steel pan and bring him back into the fold.

• Haha 1

I am behind on the forum from being out in the bush and just got to this thread.  I posted in the dredging, sluicing page much like Jasong I use the Le Trap at home for final clean up.  I have had this pan since the 90's in Wyoming.  You can barely read made in Canada.image.jpeg.fc5a4a41fe23c55533a0f96d65dea2e3.jpeg

Simon, I would imagine the newer ones are better being plastic.  You can see the chips in the edges.  My La Trap sluice is also fiber glass and feels brittle.image.thumb.jpeg.917377f6e7823e2e8f5517701d82d326.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Last night I tried to get the last of some crushed quartz out of my le trap.  I gave a good smack on the bottom with my palm and cracked it.  It was a good run.  That pan was about 25 years old.  

Even worse no gold in the quartz.  I will defiantly get another one, I just need to figure out where.

4AA8A940-2CB0-431E-8787-10D4A27D9587.jpeg

Bob Peterson @ San Diego Metal Detector has 3 or 4 of them. He closed his physical location down, but is selling stuff from home. Bob 619 303 7345