I have a Safari and have a few questions. Does wet grass have an affect on it? It is chirping like you threw tinfoil all over the ground, no matter what mode I am in.. No.2 sometimes when I use the pinpoint on the detector it will stay humming and the screen will show black no matter if it is over the target or not. Thank you.

Something is wrong.

either with your technique or with the machine.

read the manual a few times

fred

Does not sound right, machine may have a problem. Did it ever work or is this one you just got?

• Like 1

Doesn't sound right at all. The coil sounds like it is touch sensitive if it is reacting to wet grass.

I'd be contacting Minelab or a dealer to have it looked at.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 2:10 PM, sharps said:

I have a Safari and have a few questions. Does wet grass have an affect on it? It is chirping like you threw tinfoil all over the ground, no matter what mode I am in.. No.2 sometimes when I use the pinpoint on the detector it will stay humming and the screen will show black no matter if it is over the target or not. Thank you.

Sharps,  Were you able to get the detector checked out and if so, how is it performing now?  Just like the other forum members said, I feel it has some issues.  I always change coils 1st to see if it is a coil or actual detector issue.

Anyway,  If you still have the Safari (one of Minelabs most underrated powerful silver killers) and want a little extra help on Silver Settings, maybe this video I did a few years back will help?

Good Luck,  Gerry

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      How many of you have a non-human prospecting or detecting buddy? Dog, cat, burro, reconnaissance bird... whatever. Post a pic and tell us about them. Here is a chance to brag about our best friends! 
    • By phrunt
      A few weeks ago I lost my Garrett Carrot AT when detecting down at a local river, I didn't realise it was lost until it was long gone, I tried for a couple of days to walk the same path to find it but never did so I decided I'd buy another one and some gadgets to prevent me losing it too.
      I have the standard belt holder for my Carrot but didn't like it, too high on my body for my Carrot to sit so it kept getting banged.
      I first tried my Minelab finds bag to look after it, it appears to have Carrot holders on the side of it but it doesn't fit well which makes it difficult to get in and out and has no clip for a lanyard. It sits really high on the bag too and gets in the way of my elbows.

So I hunted around on Ebay and found a Chinese made finds bag for a good price and it had a clip and fits the Carrot much better, the bag has more features and better quality too

I like it's drink bottle holder pouch. A zip up pocket for the important stuff and a big area for the junk with holes to let out the dirt.  It was about $15 USD delivered.
      Then I stumbled across bike torch mounts so I bought a few of them thinking I'll mount my carrot on my shaft 😀

They worked fine but again, difficult to get it in and out but there was another model available that looked better.

The top is firm rubber and lets you get the Carrot in and out easily and they're only about $1 USD each with free shipping to NZ.

They hold stable and won't be lost like this, I don't notice the weight, some might...  I can use a torch in them for night detecting too if I wish.
      And the best news bit of this story, I found my original lost Carrot today down at the river while testing my new T2, it's in that photo on my Equinox shaft after I got it back... lucky it's waterproof as it's been through a lot of rain and snow.  
      If anyone has a better method of not losing a Pinpointer I'd be interested in hearing it.

• By Tugboat
      Hi People when you see other detectorists, how much distance should one give each other?  and 2nd question is, i have the minelab 15 pinpointer  but it really struggles unless its all most on the target, it was a free pinpointer that came with the 600. Do i buy the minelab 35 or another brand? thanks
    • By Joe L
      Being new to these forums, if this is not the place for this, please move. Due to excitement just wanted to sing out here.
      I am adding a Gold detector to my arsenal..  I did research this for quite a bit and realized that gold detecting, nuggets anyway, would only be maybe 1%, well maybe less, use of the machine. It would also be used for general detecting and a unit for friends that want to give it a try (it’s a easy to use detector.) But, I do want a capable detector the will work for gold also. Reading Steve’s review and rating of this detector, I'm pulling the the lever.
      For these reasons I have chosen a     Fisher Gold Bug Pro.
      Thanks for listening.  Joe 
    • By kac
      Found this while scouting out another section of woods along a main trail. It's a Harvard Crimsons pin that was gold plated over brass.
      Also found a 61 silver Canadian quarter. Got excited at first until I whipped the dirt off the rim and saw it wasn't a really old USA coin :( . Also a musket ball and small round.

• By geof_junk
      A interesting article with some good videos.
      http://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t26534-home-made-skid-plates-easy