The 800 Is Not A Fast Machine!

mn90403

Most detectors use filters....... which if the coil is moving to fast will filter out weak targets.  Used to be 2 and 4 filters..... may be higher now days.   The larger the coil the more material the machine has to process as well.....thus the faster you go the less it sees.   6 is a pretty FAST recovery..... that beep is quick if it comes thru and sometimes ya just miss near targets that a slower recovery of 4 might not.   Sweep speed always matters IMO.   Might try buring several targets in a line at different depth and distances from each other.... then swing between target to see what you are missing.   Ive found if im not getting a whole lot .... try something different....... slow down and NOT cover so much beach that day.

• Like 3

This target was larger so I could see it more easily but I was already 'mowing the beach' so when I came across it it then seemed huge rater than stop me from a brisk walk.

https://www.davidyurman.com/products/mens/pendants/forged-carbon-tag-d15592mss.pdp.html

• Like 1

That's a sweet piece of jewelry. It's amazing what people will spend money on and how much they're willing to spend.

• Thanks 1

On 7/23/2019 at 6:03 AM, Mark Gillespie said:

Not yet, wanting to get a correctly functioning battery pack.  That might bring a question to mind.  Do you think the sweep speed mods would help depth in any way?

Nope. What you want to accomplish with the SS mod is a less critical SS on tiny items, without losing any sensitivity to the those items. I'm not sure it would make any difference on most beach targets.

• Like 1

What recovery speed are you guys using ? I burried a steel ring and then a penny 12 - 15" in wet beach sand and was only able to hear them with recovery speed set to 1 on Beach 1 with the sensitivity cranked all the way to 25.

I run the sensitivity at 20-23 most of the time and leave the speed at 6 or maybe 5 and hear my deep objects but once again ... slow.  The speed doesn't let the black sand/iron stay in the way of a target signal like a coin.  I can hear iron and the coins by slowing way down.

Your steel ring is a problem piece.  It is like a British coin or Canadian which are magnetic.  The detector sees the shape and wants to respond to that but it also sees the metals and wants to go lower with the tone.  Sometimes when it is deep it is very unclear and a combination of ground noise/black sand and target.

I've turned up the negative volume/1st section to help with hearing deep targets.