The 800 Is Not A Fast Machine!

mn90403

32 minutes ago, phrunt said:

That's a good haul, I wish my beach days were that good.  I can cover massive distances and not find a target at all on our beaches ?

Just to be different, pick a beach and just grid it slow one time before you find a target.

Great information and finds!!!! I am still cleaning out the first 8" of most of my hunting sites so detecting 12 to 15" targets sounds like fun. After reading your post I rechecked the manual and it recommends a normal swing rate for left-right-left swings of 2 to 3 seconds. When I try that it seems a little fast to me. My normal rate is closer to 5 to 6 seconds in moderate to heavy trash. Thanks for the post!

Jeff

5 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Great information and finds!!!! I am still cleaning out the first 8" of most of my hunting sites so detecting 12 to 15" targets sounds like fun. After reading your post I rechecked the manual and it recommends a normal swing rate for left-right-left swings of 2 to 3 seconds. When I try that it seems a little fast to me. My normal rate is closer to 5 to 6 seconds in moderate to heavy trash. Thanks for the post!

Jeff

Jeff,

Remember there is left to right but there is also forward motion.  The closer I am to 'stopped' and not moving the more I hear.  I think I saw calabash's video than demonstrated invisible targets if the coil is moving too fast and he was not walking.

The 11" coil seems to handle it pretty well.  The 6" is kinda a zip-zip on shallow targets.  The 15" is sometimes not as clear as I would like.

Beach hunting can be shallow and long distances or slower and deeper.  Today there was a 'pay layer' at 12-16 inches as measured by me sticking the coil in the hole to pinpoint some of the targets!

Mitchel

58 minutes ago, phrunt said:

That's a good haul, I wish my beach days were that good.  I can cover massive distances and not find a target at all on our beaches ?

Well, we already know you swing to fast to find anything!

(Sorry, couldn't help myself.  I feel like I'm the the only person NOT giving you a hard time about it. I want to be part of a group! )

That is amazing.  If you're digging 12-15" nickels in the wet salt sand, you're neck and neck with my White's TDI SL.  I'll need to remember to slow down on my next beach trip.  Hope tomorrow brings more good targets.

Sometimes I need to recheck my swing rhythm and today thanks to your post I will S-l-o-w it down!   It would make total sense to let the machine perform it's best at a very slow speed.   Although, I think my CTX gives better readings when I swing a bit faster and get that 1st beep before rechecking.  

Thanks for sharing!