The 800 Is Not A Fast Machine!

mn90403

18 minutes ago, Sting Ray said:

Sometimes I need to recheck my swing rhythm and today thanks to your post I will S-l-o-w it down!   It would make total sense to let the machine perform it's best at a very slow speed.   Although, I think my CTX gives better readings when I swing a bit faster and get that 1st beep before rechecking.  

Thanks for sharing! 

I will note that I was getting a signal and looking at the depth.  I automatically took off 6 inches before checking again.  Most of the time the signal was still there.  Then it got interesting.  Using my 6" scoop that I pull towards me I'd try to get it cleanly but sometimes it was not possible.  Maybe 10% of the signals went silent in the hole and I would have to dig 'knowing' there was a target waiting for me.  Some of them I could hear with a change in orientation and others just get the object out of the hole and in the pile before getting it in the scoop for recovery.

I'll also have to note that every beach I go to does not have targets this deep.  Sometimes there could be surface coins and nothing below.  It always changes.

I returned to the patch (to mow more of the beach) this morning and mostly re gridded what I had done before but added on to the ends to see if it continued.  It can be tedious as I just want to go wander and walk long distances but that is not the type of energy supplied to the beaches in the last few days.  I need to lock in to what I've found.

Just as an aside story, one night last week I was near this same area in the middle of the night and a guy kept coming towards me and I could see he was swinging.  He was hitting some areas I wanted to go back on but he just kept on his way through my area.  I didn't want to talk but he stopped and asked me how it was going and I said just coins and he said he had just found this chain with a cross!  I saw it with my light and I immediately thought it came from his last dig hole near me but I don't know.  His pattern had been to walk quickly with his Gold Bug for miles.  Lots of detecting patterns work.  His 'style' beat me that night.

I must note that a couple of the quarters and the star ring were not from that area.  It was in an area I walked through to get to the patch.

One of the first targets I got was the gold ring with the little diamond.  It shows up as a 10 but a little hard to read but I think it is 14k.  Much later on I found the pendant which is 22g with a .925 sliver back to it.  I don't know what the stone surface is on the front but it is kind of a nice pendant.  The bobby pins are a must to dig if you find them.  They stay about -4 but some deep targets start negative also when listening for the subtle beach sounds.  On more than one occasion I've heard more than one target before I start digging.

We'll see when I get the urge to go again.

IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Mark Gillespie said:

That is amazing.  If you're digging 12-15" nickels in the wet salt sand, you're neck and neck with my White's TDI SL.  I'll need to remember to slow down on my next beach trip.  Hope tomorrow brings more good targets.

Did you do the sweep speed mod on your SL, Mark?

Jim

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Sure EQX 800 is fast.

But speed alone won’t get all detectable targets.

EqX speed can get some targets other detectors wearing same size coils and yes even smaller coils can’t get.

And the speed can get you some targets in super high mineral soil too other VLF will go whiff on or ID as ferrous.

I see this even in my area, soil not overly high mineralized.

5 minutes ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

Sure EQX 800 is fast.

But speed alone won’t get all detectable targets.

EqX speed can get some targets other detectors wearing same size coils and yes even smaller coils can’t get.

And the speed can get you some targets in super high mineral soil too other VLF will go whiff on or ID as ferrous.

I see this even in my area, soil not overly high mineralized.

Glad you said what I was thinking because the thread title is a little misleading, though I know what Mitchel is driving at.  Two key takeaways from Mitchel's post - 1) You can take advantage of Equinox's separation ability at high recovery speed settings WITHOUT having to swing the coil fast (this is different than other fast detectors like Deus, where higher swing speeds at higher recivery settings give better signals) - coil control is important though, fast short wiggle or slow deliberate long sweep to separate multiple targets as needed since both can work with higher recovery settings.  2) Overlapping Coil sweep coverage is very important (that is why s 6-inch coil on a beach would drive me nuts unless I confined myself to a curb strip sized patch of beach).  It is hard to know whether you are doing this well and to do it well means a very slow forward motion (like a bride moving up a church aisle) even with a large coil.

Nice saves.

• Like 1

Chase, you caught part of what I was driving at but the other part is when you swing to fast then you don't even hear some of the deep targets.  Not all patches were created equal.   The Equinox is fast at 6,7 and 8 but you can even swing the coil too 'fast' for it to find all your targets.  I could have said that the Equinox is not a 'speedy' detector or something else but you picked up on my 'play on words' pretty good.  Yes, you can take the mineralization out of some of the black sand beaches with the high speed and hear in 3D (multiple targets on top of each other) and not be limited by flatness.

• Like 1

Guest Tnsharpshooter

And why the use of prospecting modes can have advantages ( as far as coil sweep coverage).  If one can use prospecting modes where they are hunting.  Freshwater beach prospecting modes good to use.  Open field relic hunting too.  Can be off more of the sweet spot and get clue of target’s existence. Fine gold chains likely will yield stronger signal too (if detectable).

I was just thinking of the phrase 'ultrasound for the ears' for our 3D look at the ground.  Most ultrasounds that I am aware of require a visual screen to see the object and it is named for the type of wave used and not the receiver!

• Like 1

The silver pendant is a DY (David Yurman) .925 Cf.  I can't find one online just like it.  There are some 'dog tags' similar and I don't know if the one I have has real black diamonds!  The other material is a black, textured stone that looks pretty nice also.  I'll have to see a jeweler for that piece.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jim in Idaho said:

Did you do the sweep speed mod on your SL, Mark?

Jim

Not yet, wanting to get a correctly functioning battery pack.  That might bring a question to mind.  Do you think the sweep speed mods would help depth in any way?