On 7/24/2019 at 2:10 PM, fredmason said:

My brain and my fingers rarely communicate, so you gets what you gets...I hate to edit and am usually guilty of being to brief...or rambling...

fred

Ha ha.....Love you Fred. Keep rambling......:laugh:

Best of luck out there.

JW ?

• Like 1

I have been also researching the NO GB mode 16 on the QED and found this from Howard the maker of the QED

When in MODE 16 the GB manual adjustment is still active and it can be used to adjust the sample delay. Lowering it from the default of 100 to 1 will decrease the sample delay by 2uS resulting in better detection distance on small items ie fine gold chains etc.
It's certainly going to be worth giving it a shot too.
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 10:41 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

I regret not experimenting with Coin/Relic more in mild ground. Pure PI mode with no ground balance and therefore no “holes”. Even at very low gain levels it might reveal shallow gold missed simply because it fell into the hole created by any PI detector that ground balances.

:smile:

Steve, when you say no ground balance, does this mean you don't have to depress the green button and pump the coil, or have I misunderstood?

Thanks,

Brian.

I misspoke earlier and slightly modified my earlier posts... Coin/Relic has very minimal ground balancing and so button should work if the ground allows, which it may not. And then you can shut GB Off via the settings, in which case the button will do nothing.

I never really tried it myself and see little evidence many have so this is sort of unexplored territory.

"Coin/Relic is designed for use in lightly mineralized soils including many beaches. It offers maximum detection depth on a range of target sizes, significantly greater than any other timings (emphasis added). However, if the ground is any more than lightly mineralized, the detector may not ground balance. Coin/Relic should work very well in most common parks, ovals, and old home sites, so is the preferred timing when using your detector for coins, jewelry and relics. On ocean beaches containing significant quantities of black sand, better results may be had by using Normal or Salt settings."

In other words, by design the Coin & Relic timing is already using an extremely limited amount of ground balancing, so minimal that ground balancing simply will not work at most locations if you use this timing. The first clue will be that the detector will pick up the ground if the coil is raised and lowered over the ground, despite any changes to the ground balance settings.

You can also turn the ground balance off completely off via the settings. “GB Off switches the ground balance circuit off for maximum depth in very mild soils, sand etc.”

and

”(Ground Balance) Off
In very benign soils, such as non-mineralised loam or sand, there can be very little and sometimes no ground effect. These areas are quite rare but are identified when your ground balance doesn't appear to be doing anything. By switching the GB Type to Off you can achieve improved depth and sensitivity.

This feature will most likely be used by beach hunters, or inland treasure/relic seekers, as it is extremely rare to encounter a spot in the gold field where Ground Balance is not required.

Procedure:
Raise the coil off the ground, away from metal objects, and switch to GB Off. After the tone is heard you can commence detecting.“

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/3935-effects-of-ground-balance-on-target-depth/

• Thanks 2

I'll be honest, I don't need to ground balance my GPX at most of our gold spots, sometimes I forget to to do it, I simply don't need to, I can raise and lower my coil without any issues, same with my QED... I can switch it on and use it in most places so much so to the point I contacted Reg asking how to ground balance it as it has a video showing it being done and I wasn't getting any of the ground feedback that was in the video so I had no sounds to ground balance out. The auto ground balance button did nothing and manually seemed pointless as there was no noise at all for most of the balance range numbers unless I went way out of default.   I have since found areas I need to balance so I've worked out how to do it now ?

When I got the GPX I thought my Quick track green button didn't work, same reason.

I try to remember to ground balance as I know a properly balanced machine performs better.

I was always a bit puzzled when really new to detecting about ground balance as my VFL's were the same, it didn't seem to make a difference as I never had the ground noise people talk of.

I look forward to trying out these new timings, the weather hasn't been playing nicely, we are finally getting some good winter snow and skiing is taking up a lot of my prospecting time at the moment.

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

Have you ever tried the Coin/Relic mode Simon?  I would think that in your mild soils, this timing would give you the biggest bang.  Let us know if you try it out and your thoughts please.

Brian.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nevada Brian said:

Have you ever tried the Coin/Relic mode Simon?  I would think that in your mild soils, this timing would give you the biggest bang.  Let us know if you try it out and your thoughts please.

Brian.

No I haven't, I didn't know to try it until Steve pointed it out the other day when I was questioning it, I'm looking forward to trying it out, it may be my secret weapon ?  Well, maybe not so secret anymore.  It's raining/snowing for most of the next few days by the look of it so I'm waiting patiently for a suitable opportunity.

• Like 2