davsgold

Making A Patch Lead For Gpz7000

5 hours ago, Andyy said:

Reheating is only a temporary fix.  As soon as you reassemble it and it stretches out, it expands more each time.  This happens because the size of the cable requires you to screw it in, in the first place.  I mentioned this in the review of my first use of the coil.  You can stuff it for a few times but it will get to the point where you cannot reassemble.    Any coils that get caught, will cause it to be overstretched and unfortunately the cable does not have enough memory to return.  It is not a phone cord by any means.  I am not sure if it is the heat by itself, but it is very non-elastic.

Andyy,

Since reheating is only a temporary fix, and as soon as you reassemble the shafts, the cable stretches out again.   What if you were to somehow gently stretch the cable, thus eliminating the curls.   It appears the curls are the problem.   I know this will lengthen the cable, possibly presenting new challenges to overcome, but it was just a thought with the hopes of getting you going again.

Brian.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nevada Brian said:

Andyy,

Since reheating is only a temporary fix, and as soon as you reassemble the shafts, the cable stretches out again.   What if you were to somehow gently stretch the cable, thus eliminating the curls.   It appears the curls are the problem.   I know this will lengthen the cable, possibly presenting new challenges to overcome, but it was just a thought with the hopes of getting you going again.

Brian.

Yeh I thought that as well.   Straighten the lead out, cut the excess lead, then re attach to the patch lead. You`d have a set length for the detector and not be able to alter it, and to collapse the detector you`d have to remove the coil.

I think that's why the manufacturer has to be careful, people could stretch their cable and say its a problem and expect a replacement coil.  Get their replacement coil and repair the stretched coil like above and have two working coils for the price of one.  That's no doubt why he's wanting the stretched coils sent back especially when it coil itself isn't faulty which is normally the warranty procedure for anything... if your detector breaks down you don't expect Minelab to send you out a new one without getting the old one back.  The worry about posting something should be minimal, almost any decent post method has insurance for lost items and tracking numbers.  When buying a product from afar you do expect to have to send it back if there is a problem. 

It's very unfortunate this problem revealed itself to the users in the USA and not in Australia as it would of been far easier for the Aussies to deal with being local to the seller.  It does suck you guys had this problem though ?

20 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I think that's why the manufacturer has to be careful, people could stretch their cable and say its a problem and expect a replacement coil.  Get their replacement coil and repair the stretched coil like above and have two working coils for the price of one.  That's no doubt why he's wanting the stretched coils sent back especially when it coil itself isn't faulty which is normally warranty procedure for anything... if your detector breaks down you don't expect Minelab to send you out a new one without getting the old one back.  The worry about posting something should be minimal, almost any decent post method has insurance for lost items and tracking numbers.  When buying a product from afar you do expect to have to send it back if there is a problem. 

It's very unfortunate this problem revealed itself to the users in the USA and not in Australia as it would of been far easier for the Aussies to deal with being local to the seller.  It does suck you guys had this problem though ?

Simon I don`t understand the relationship you have with the manufacturer and seller but you now speak for both of them and you have said something there that is interesting.   Postage between USA and Australia is no problem what so ever, I buy stuff out of the states quite often, and I agree, people should have to return the bad coils.
   Why can`t the people in America that have the problem coils return them to the seller in Australia?  
Dave

I have no relationship with either, I'm just a happy x-coil user and trying to help a few people out in the process.

I spoke to Dave yesterday via email and he said he was going out of range for a bit so I let Andy know so he doesn't think he's being ignored.  I don't know if Dave had a chance to let Andy know, sometimes email is easier in remote areas than getting on a forum when internet speeds are rotten and I don't know if he has Andy's email, just relaying some information to help ease his mind.  I do know they're trying to work out the best solution for Andy, maybe they were just going to contact Andy when they had a solution, I don't know.

Posting to OZ might be a viable option, we'll have to wait and see what Dave and the manufacturer can work out. I'm sure nobody wants Andy to be upset with his coil, he was enjoying it until this happened.

• Like 1

Dave (Davsgold) had replied to a question of mine about X coil warranty that the coils would be returned to him & he would take care of any problems.

At this point that in itself isn't easy as he is in WA detecting. Maybe a US reseller needs to step up?

• Like 1

I believe this is more of a miscommunication or language barrier.  Best I can understand, the manufacturer thought I did not want a replacement because of the ferrite issue I had found in the beginning of my testing.  Unfortunately, this did not come across in the original translation.  So I did what I do and I boiled on the message for a few days.  LOL.  Anyways, it looks like I will soon have another coil to correct this issue.  Much appreciated, because as myself and others have said, it is still a damn good coil,  ... which just needs to keep getting upgraded.  And I can see that it is happening.

• Like 5

Now go find some gold, early bird catches the worm should be the X-coils slogan ?

Can't.. Kiwijw got it all....

Well that and I have to wait for a replacement.

• Haha 2

Got my patch lead back from Pat (steelphase) yesterday. He did a bloody good job of it and it is well made and feels sturdy. Even though i could of managed making it Pat has done a better job than i could have.

My 2 lower gpz shafts also turned up yesterday. Tomorrow ill go out and test everything to make sure all is good.

Heading out on Sunday night after work for 4 days detecting. Fingers crossed the ferrite balance thing isnt too bad. Hope ive done the right thing going down the x-coil path , time will tell. . 

• Like 5