davsgold

Making A Patch Lead For Gpz7000

29 minutes ago, Jin said:

Got my patch lead back from Pat (steelphase) yesterday. He did a bloody good job of it and it is well made and feels sturdy. Even though i could of managed making it Pat has done a better job than i could have.

My 2 lower gpz shafts also turned up yesterday. Tomorrow ill go out and test everything to make sure all is good.

Heading out on Sunday night after work for 4 days detecting. Fingers crossed the ferrite balance thing isnt too bad. Hope ive done the right thing going down the x-coil path , time will tell. . 

Would you mind putting a photo up sometime of the adapter? It'd like a look at Pat's version.  I know it'll be good.  Good luck on your weekend hunt, hope you find some good gold. ? 

Here's mine that Pat did, attached to the coil lead, damn nice job ! 

GPZ PATCH LEAD.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13421C0F-5F97-4E46-8A73-9F291CE6AF25.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Very nice! You've got nothing to worry about there by the looks of it.

• Like 2

Hi all. Has anyone thought of contacting Minelab to see if they can buy the Minelab genuine leads for GPX 7000 without a coil?

Is it possible the Russian Manufacturer could sell the coils into Australia without leads for people wanting to use them on the 7000 series. Then either the customer or distributor assemble the units here?

Is the lead supplied by the Russian Manufacturer only an issue with the 7000 series because the cable runs inside the shafts?

I understand that Minelab may buck a bit but they need to look after existing customers who are cutting up leads of their ML 14 coils and future sales to customers sitting on the fence thinking if they should buy a 7000 of something cheaper? Maybe a x coil attached to a GPX 5000 is possible?

I have no idea how the leads are connected to the coils but with a little cooperation between both Manufacturers and an Australian distributor that can perform the adaptions could be possible?

Regards sturt.

19 hours ago, Jin said:

Hope i've done the right thing going down the x-coil path , time will tell. . 

Time will tell Jin but I am sure you will be VERY happy. Look forward to your success, & hearing about it.

Good luck out there

JW ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sturt said:

Hi all. Has anyone thought of contacting Minelab to see if they can buy the Minelab genuine leads for GPX 7000 without a coil?

Is it possible the Russian Manufacturer could sell the coils into Australia without leads for people wanting to use them on the 7000 series. Then either the customer or distributor assemble the units here?

Is the lead supplied by the Russian Manufacturer only an issue with the 7000 series because the cable runs inside the shafts?

I understand that Minelab may buck a bit but they need to look after existing customers who are cutting up leads of their ML 14 coils and future sales to customers sitting on the fence thinking if they should buy a 7000 of something cheaper? Maybe a x coil attached to a GPX 5000 is possible?

I have no idea how the leads are connected to the coils but with a little cooperation between both Manufacturers and an Australian distributor that can perform the adaptions could be possible?

Regards sturt.

Sturt - not sure if I understand the question but it really all comes down to the chip that is required to operate the coil.  Since it is currently included in the ML coils, the only way to use a new coil with the GPZ, is to sacrifice a coil so you can borrow the chip.  The coil does not necessarily become useless, but it does require you to add a new connector to keep using it.   If ML supplied this chip, they could make a licensing fee.  But as soon as they supplied anything to another company, they risk getting bad publicity if something went wrong.  Selling parts is almost the equivalent of endorsing the product, in my opinion.  My guess is a company like ML would not want to take that risk.

Those patch lead adaptors look the bees knees. Very nice job. Personally I would still wrap them with tape to give them added strength in light of what our American friends are experiencing with the curly cord unwinding & tightening up in the shaft causing pulling pressure on the connections. In Jasong's case, pulling the fine wire to breaking point. Someone mentioned that the taping of the adaptor didn't look very flash, but hey does it really matter for the extra peace of mind. Besides, you can't see it when it is inside the detector shaft.

Good luck out there guys.

JW ?

1 hour ago, kiwijw said:

Those patch lead adaptors look the bees knees. Very nice job. Personally I would still wrap them with tape to give them added strength in light of what our American friends are experiencing with the curly cord unwinding & tightening up in the shaft causing pulling pressure on the connections. In Jasong's case, pulling the fine wire to breaking point. Someone mentioned that the taping of the adaptor didn't look very flash, but hey does it really matter for the extra peace of mind. Besides, you can't see it when it is inside the detector shaft.

Good luck out there guys.

JW ?

Hey JW, Good point and I did think about adding tape as you mentioned. I fitted both my x-coils last night and they slide in the shaft nicely except for the 20" coil when it got to the second last curl. But overall I was happy that there not catching inside the shaft and putting any more strain on the lead than the original gpz14 cable would. Ill keep an eye on it though and add the tape if its needed. 

• Like 1

Steelphase is using heat shrink that has adhesive in it, dual wall adhesive lined heatshrink that electricians often use, I have it on my boat trailer for the lights as we had to do some joins in the part of the trailer that goes underwater when launching the boat.  The adhesive not only ensures water can't get inside the connections but it adds a lot of strength to the cables.  It's hard to explain but think of a cable with a cover over it and the cover is glued onto the cable, it can't stretch as the glue is holding it all tight.   In saying that, any added strength is a good thing so there is certainly no harm is wrapping it in a good quality tape, cosmetically it doesn't matter, as JW said it's inside your shaft anyway.

If you want to go really hard core on it get some Fiber Fix resin tape, make it as hard as steel ? Gorilla tape is also cool.

• Like 1