ATX For Beginner's?

ddog.... I'm not in bad shape for a young 50 yr old buck.... But what I did was swing a 3/4 filled gallon(estimate 6lbs)jug in the same basic way i would swing a detector for 1 hr...actually I wanted to take break after 15 minutes...and actually did after 20... Interesting experiment and my wife thinks now without a doubt that y'all have brought out my crazy side...lol lol lol yeah I have too much time on my hands... Lol lol lol

On the result of my test is that's a pretty heavy machine after awhile...

• Like 1

Another option is the SDC2300, although it hasn`t got the coil options the other PIs have.

+1 for the SDC.

I found that the ATX falsed when the coil  bumped a rock or branch. I just couldn't put up with that. That said, I think that the ATX is a capable machine in areas where it won't be bumped alot ( beach, cleared ground,etc.) I didn't find the weight to be it's biggest issue. I bought  the SDC and love it. Perhaps Garrett has addressed the falsing issue?

Dean

The ATX has some touch sensitivity but not all that bad. It is solved by slowing the heck down and keeping the coil under control. Scuff covers also provide a bit of cushioning.

The ATX used to seem heavy until the GPZ came out. Garrett falls to second place in the war on arms!

Personally I think the ATX is underrated. If I could only own one detector it would be a top candidate. I can do pretty much anything with it.

• Like 1

Steve is there any downfalls to getting an older machine??? I'm going to call Garrett with the serial # ... Anything specific to look for when I go look at this thing...I'm going this weekend to see it..

One little thing I'm Leary about is the guy said he only has had it 6 mths and its been used maybe 5 times but he lost the owners manual... Something simple to others but a big deal to me ...shows just how good u keep ur things and losing $2k metal detectors manual in 6 mths with only 5 times out says something... But anything I should be looking for in general

From a few months ago my reply to Featherfishead on another forum. The ATX also does a high low and low high sounds for different types of targets and for my simple mind that was too complicated. I just want a detector to go beep when it finds something.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/452912-want-hear-atx-users.html

strick