Yet More Idaho Gold (and Other Cool Stuff)...

Spud Digger Johnson has just released the latest video on his "Spud Diggers" YouTube channel about hunting for gold, relics, coins, and bottles at the 1860's mining camp "Diamondville." One of the highlights was a lady who, using a detector, dug up a diamond ring... and then her boyfriend proposed marriage! Lots of good gold was found. HH Jim

• Like 4

It was a lot of fun. Most folks left Sunday afternoon, but Rob gave Craig and I, and Lisa and Bella, permission to stay until Monday morning. Lisa and Bella did very well bottle digging, while Craig and I concentrated on raking away the thick layers (up to 10" deep) of decomposing pine needles from several house sites, which resulted in several coins being found, including my first "fatty" Indian Head Cent (1863, the date Diamondville was founded) and my first Shield nickel. I also found a brass name plate, and was hoping to research it, by I can not now find it. Grrr! Craig found a really nice gold pocket watch, with glass cover still intact. And some coins. He also found a cool "Junior Pilot" badge, probably from the 1930's. James (Tough Run Metal Detecting channel on YouTube) and Larry scored their first gold. On the find's table the big quartz rock, which gives a "multi-gram" gold signal, was found by Craig. The 4 pieces shown in my palm in the opening scene were the first of 9 that I found. The video of the training seminar that Gerry and I taught was much longer, and well-received. Rob's video neglects to show the several hail storms we encountered. Note the cold weather clothing; as I type this back home in the Mojave the summer monsoon season has begun, I have to admit I'd rather be back in Diamondville digging for gold. HH Jim

• Like 3