Forum Usernames - How Did You Choose Yours?

Jin

Like phrunt this this name I have always used for everything internet since the day it started.  Started with the internet room in college and never looked back.  It was a completely random choice of name.  Funny thing is it is never taken where ever I have to use a login or username ?

I still like some anomitity on the net but when I PM folks I state my real name.  I am almost certain that it has “freaked” people out to to have conversation with ?

• Like 2

My mate called me Seeker, and i used that forum name for years, i think I unconsciously pulled away from that name because it reminded me of her, since i live in Alaska I just added that to the handle and it softened ..that part for me, shes been gone now for 10 yrs, but i remember her daily.  There are some on other forums that ive known for a long time some ive hunted with, they still call me seeker, its ok ....

• Like 2

I don't see the use of user names, unless you have something to hide or are frightened of your own shadow.

• Like 1

My first online poker account on party poker was lackingaces. When I signed up for twoplustwo (poker forum) I didn't know if I was going to have to type my name each time so I shortened it to lacky. I played poker full time for 9 years and part time for more, and am known as lacky by lots of poker friends so I just use it for everything now. It is always available.

• Like 3

I figured if Steve wanted real names he would just ask my name on the sign up. He asked for username so I gave that. I'm too boring to have anything to hide Reg, and I work in a prison so probably not a nervous person. Not sure why nicknames became the norm for forums but it's always been that way.

• Like 2

In a tidy house like Steve’s, it ikely makes no difference.

There is a reason however why the wearing of masks has often been agains the law. On the other hand, there was the Lone Ranger!! Lol

So I-guess, however you choose to be known - you or I will sooner or later be KNOWN. And that reputation will be based not on our name but on our behavior.

In a well managed forum, that’s probably good. This is a well managed forum, I reckon.

• Like 4

We'll I guess I wasn't real creative in coming up with a catchy forum name. Both I and my wife are Colorado natives and live in southern Colorado. Though my avatar picture of I and my wife was taken on the Alaska and Yukon border, my profile picture is both of us nugget hunting in central Colorado. Colorado has been very good to us for prospecting for gold for over forty years.

Great thread!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reg Wilson said:

I don't see the use of user names, unless you have something to hide or are frightened of your own shadow.

Ive been on the run from the law for 20 years. Would be a little stupid to use my real name incase the police googled it.   

• Haha 4

I`m undercover on the other side, a bit of plea bargaining and I`ll forget you confessed Jin. 

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with people being anonymous if that's what turns them on, but on some other forums certain low life use it like a little kid throwing rocks over a fence. Cowardly 'no names' heaping abuse on others knowing that they are unidentified. 

At one time I copped heaps of foul and personal abuse from one character simply because I had honestly criticized a product. He carried on like he was some sort of monster, but through various means I was able to identify this 'keyboard warrior', who turned out to be a little five foot nothing weed. 

When anonymity is used to perpetrate cyber bullying and abuse it stinks. This sort of behavior is a sad reflection of the modern age.

• Like 7