It’s Tough Out There

I would have to hunt midnight to 8 a.m. to miss the locals and crowds.  Traffic, competition, kids were just too much distraction to get the job done.  Plus the times when you would walk into a run of beached squid was magical and scary with all that expelling water sounds you would hear all around you.  I would love those early hunt hours.  I miss my So Cal beaches!  These central Oregon beaches just aren't bather beaches.  Love your finds!!!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 3

Very nice finds! I live 10 minutes from the beach here in SoCal. I don’t know why I don’t go more often.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, phrunt said:

Very cool, that's a lifetime of finds for me ?  The GoPro is a good score too.  I found a Go Pro battery the other day with my Nox.

This is my second GoPro in 3 years.  I almost didn’t dig it because I thought it be another can. Next time you go beach hunting go to one that gets a lot of tourist, that’s the ones I hunt and I do ok. Good luck

16 hours ago, fredmason said:

Nice stuff!  I hate the smear every detectorist gets because of those slobs and idiots....

fred

It’s funny/sad because a lot of the people I see doing this are veterans in the hobby.

12 hours ago, GaryC/Oregon Coast said:

I would have to hunt midnight to 8 a.m. to miss the locals and crowds.  Traffic, competition, kids were just too much distraction to get the job done.  Plus the times when you would walk into a run of beached squid was magical and scary with all that expelling water sounds you would hear all around you.  I would love those early hunt hours.  I miss my So Cal beaches!  These central Oregon beaches just aren't bather beaches.  Love your finds!!!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

I am new to the hobby so I’m still trying to figure out when to go.  I don’t like going deep (just waist deep) in the water so low tide works best for me. How were the beaches around you say 50/100 years ago? You can always make a weekend trip to Washington or come south to CA to get your detecting fix ?

10 hours ago, BeachHunter said:

Very nice finds! I live 10 minutes from the beach here in SoCal. I don’t know why I don’t go more often.

If I were that close I would be there every other day.  I’m sure you have many nice beaches close by full of goodies.  One of these weekends I might have to take a trip down your way and see what I find. HH

• Like 1

Competition is fierce, but it's also a race against time. Here in New England the beaches are currently sanded in. There is several feet of soft sand on the new Hampshire and North shore mass beaches making recovery very difficult if you don't get there shortly after the object is dropped. Last Sunday I gave up on a target that was over 18" down. My best luck has been recent drops on early Sunday evening.

• Like 1

50/100 years ago!!!!  Geeeez I'm old, but not that old.  Well wait a minute I guess I am that old.  I did hunt those beaches 50 years ago.  Dry sand only, back then!  Ha!  GaryC/OregonCoast.

On 7/25/2019 at 3:02 PM, Brian said:

Competition is fierce, but it's also a race against time. Here in New England the beaches are currently sanded in. There is several feet of soft sand on the new Hampshire and North shore mass beaches making recovery very difficult if you don't get there shortly after the object is dropped. Last Sunday I gave up on a target that was over 18" down. My best luck has been recent drops on early Sunday evening.

I agree. I hunt the Connecticut and Rhode Island beaches when I can. I live in western MA so it's a bit of a trip for me. Always 4 or 5 people on the beach. When it's sanded in you have to get creative or you will go home empty. That's where technology rules. If it wasn't for my GPX  for the deep stuff, I would be looking for small gold with the Equinox on the sanded in beaches. One of these days I'm going to try them NH beaches just to see if I can pull anything out. The guys and girls up there are good at what they do.

The last two trips to the beach have been so bad in terms of totals that i scored more in aluminum cans than I did in coins. Most of the drinkers now seem to prefer the 24oz cans of beer over the traditional 12oz variety. The problem is how to get them crushed up sufficiently to fit inside my garrett pouch.

• Like 1