It’s Tough Out There

I'm on the NE side of MA. 15 min from the beach (3hours with traffic). Parking is horribly expensive now and one the NH beaches they just loaded up with new sand so not much to dig unless it's an immediate drop. will hit them this fall when things cool down. That Tiffany pendent is really nice! Great run.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 12:02 PM, Brian said:

Competition is fierce, but it's also a race against time. Here in New England the beaches are currently sanded in. There is several feet of soft sand on the new Hampshire and North shore mass beaches making recovery very difficult if you don't get there shortly after the object is dropped. Last Sunday I gave up on a target that was over 18" down. My best luck has been recent drops on early Sunday evening.

Where I’m at there’s no storms to move sand or make cuts so I’m hunting fresh drops.  About 95% of the competition is gone once winter starts. 

On 7/26/2019 at 4:24 PM, GaryC/Oregon Coast said:

50/100 years ago!!!!  Geeeez I'm old, but not that old.  Well wait a minute I guess I am that old.  I did hunt those beaches 50 years ago.  Dry sand only, back then!  Ha!  GaryC/OregonCoast.

I was thinking more along the lines of how much was the beach being used during those years.  If it was more heavenly used back then you can wait for the storms to clear some sand and score some nice oldies.

On 7/26/2019 at 8:21 PM, Skate said:

The last two trips to the beach have been so bad in terms of totals that i scored more in aluminum cans than I did in coins. Most of the drinkers now seem to prefer the 24oz cans of beer over the traditional 12oz variety. The problem is how to get them crushed up sufficiently to fit inside my garrett pouch.

Do you ever hunt the beaches North of you where there’s more tourists visiting? You can always take a small backpack if you indeed want to collect the cans.  I have collected a few cans in the past but now I carry a very small pouch and I have to walk to the trash cans to unload my trash at least twice per hunt.

I stick pretty much to the Ventura County area for hunting purposes. Unless the wife wants to take a trip North to Pismo or Avila that is. Treasure is pretty much what you make of it, I believe in leaving the beach better than how I found it so I pretty much will take away any trash I find regardless of size or value.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skate said:

I stick pretty much to the Ventura County area for hunting purposes. Unless the wife wants to take a trip North to Pismo or Avila that is. Treasure is pretty much what you make of it, I believe in leaving the beach better than how I found it so I pretty much will take away any trash I find regardless of size or value.

All my trash I dig I just go put it in the trash can once the pouch is full and do that throughout the hunt. It’s time consuming but it’s part of the hobby and most hunters just don’t care to do what’s right.

• Like 1