New Minelab 4500 Coil Choice For Relic Hunting

• 4 weeks later...

Putting the discrimination all the way up can actually cause strong non-ferrous targets to blank like iron, so that is not advisable.  I keep the ironnreject at 7 or less and, yes, the DD coil is what you want in order to be able to use iron reject discrimination.  My advice to you is to set up tge detector with timing set at normal, abs all other settings at defsult.  GB set to manual, find a quiet channel with auto scan, GB, and bury some typical relic targets: minie balls, round balls, j-hooks, buttons, high conductivity coins, etc. AND square nails (bent, straight, corroded, and just nail heads) and get used to the audio.  HTH.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I would start off with the stock DD coil using discrimination,  later as you learn the GPX and are having success digging deep relics you may want to experiment with other DD coils. 

Location is important, the GPX will find relics and old coins from old areas were VLF struggle due to mineralization. Have patience, eventually you’ll know when to break out the GPX to capture finds your VLF can’t get. 

GPX is one of my main relic detectors, my only complaint is the weight.

Good luck,

Paul

• Like 2